White film-like junk floating around uncycled tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SirWired

AC Members
Sep 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I am currently 10 days into a fishless cycle (no Nitrites yet)... Last night, I did a tank top-off with Prime-i-fied water and bumped up the amount of Ammonia I added to bring the tank up from 4 to around 8ppm. This morning, I woke up to find little tiny "sheets", maybe 1/8-1/4 sq. in. of white filmy stuff floating around the tank.

What could this be? I still don't have any Nitrites (checked this morning), so I can't imagine it is bits of biofilm floating around.

SirWired

SirWired

AC Members
Sep 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
akapaul26 said:
do you have any NITRATES yet?
I didn't have a chance to check them this morning, but my Ammonia doesn't drop much day-to-day (usually 1ppm, which I think is evaporation), and I have yet to see ANY non-zero amount of NitrItes. No NitrItes means it is kind of futile to look for NitrAtes, right? (My water supply has no NitrAtes out of the tap.)

SirWired

SirWired

AC Members
Sep 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
akapaul26 said:
I have done mini cycles with media from other tanks and never seen nitrites just >.25 ammonia then Nitrates the white stuff may be bacteria dying off.
I am cycling a bare tank; no media seeding. If my Ammonia was dropping by more than 1ppm / day, I would figure I had just flown through all the Nitrite spiking, but it isn't...

SirWired

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store