Tang discolored this morning

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M-Millett

AC Members
Aug 21, 2006
We introduced a Yellow Tang to our saltwater tank yesterday and she was thriving all day. When I went to bed last night she was still bright yellow and swimming everywhere. When I got up this morning, however, the stripes on the side of her body were bright white and she looks pale. She seems to be staying in one section of the tank near the glass and swims around one rock. Is it normal for them to lose their color when the lights go out? What's wrong with her?

Michelle

M-Millett

AC Members
Aug 21, 2006
well that is certainly good to hear. I thought maybe we were going to kill her by turning the lights off at night, but if that's normal for them I guess it's good. Thanks for the input.

USCavalry19d

AC Members
Oct 27, 2005
Lexington, ky
well not to sound like an A-hole but i dont think shutting the lights off would kill the fish. I mean, if so what would they do in the wild when the sun goes down at night and the ocean is black?

GeorgiaMan

All Salt!
Dec 6, 2005
Macon Georgia
I have a scopas (Brown) tang and he changes colors all day long! I will look at the tank and he will be a very pale brown and then within seconds, he will be a very dark deep Brown! The color changes are part of their nature. Your yellow should be fine! Don't forget to feed it dried seaweed (Nori) IT will keep your fish healthy and help avoid line disease. I keep it in my tank all the time. Tangs like to graze.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store