Chloramine help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CoreyMac

AC Members
Sep 15, 2006
Greer, SC
My water company uses chloramine to treat the water. Adding a simple water conditioner (Topfin water conditioner) apparently only breaks the chloramine apart and neutralized the chlorine part of chloramine, leaving ammonia behind. I test pure tap water with an API master kit and get an ammonia level of 1.0 PPM. After adding water conditioner I still get a reading of 1.0 PPM. ~~ I have tried using topfin's ammonia reducer which claims to neutralize chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia. Using this I get a reading of approximately 0.5 PPM. It's kinda hard to tell because the colors for 0.25 and 0.5 are so close. I am new to this stuff, but I am not fond of using many chemicals in my tank. Does anyone out there have to deal with this problem? If so, what are you doing to kill the ammonia? Any suggestions from anyone else on what I can try to get the ammonia level down?

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
If your tap water conditioner doesn't say it also neutralizes ammonia, then yes, it is breaking up chloramine to form chlorine and ammonia. If it says it treats ammonia, it adds a hydrogen ion to toxin ammonia (NH3) to form the less toxic NH4+, ammonium. Ammonium is much less toxic than NH3. Both exist in equilibrium, with their relative quantities varying by pH and temperature.

Most ammonia tests cannot distinguish ammonia from ammonium, and give you a total ammonia reading. I'm almost certain the API tests fall in this category. The type of test that only read total ammonia are Nessler-type tests. Salicylate-based tests ONLY read toxic ammonia (NH3). Seachem makes that kind of ammonia test.

I don't know if Topfin conditioner says it detoxifies ammonia, but if it doesn't, definitely get yourself something like Prime or Amquel+ which will render the extra ammonia basically harmless.

CoreyMac

AC Members
Sep 15, 2006
Greer, SC
I would say that my tank has fully cycled. I do regular water changes, anywhere from 15% to 25%. The topfin ammonia reducer says that it detoxifies ammonia. As for those test kits that you mentioned, I will look into them. Perhaps that is why I continue to get a high ammonia reading even though I have treated the water. Thanks so much for your help!

CoreyMac

AC Members
Sep 15, 2006
Greer, SC
Is this ammonia monitor only good until it detects toxic ammonia, or will it change back and forth for about a year?

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
It's reusable. Like if it reads toxic ammonia at some point and turns green/blue, once you remove the ammonia (hopefully with a water change) it will turn back to yellow after about 15 minutes.

It's good for about a year, they say. It doesn't need reagants to be added, like some other stick-on monitors I've seen at the store. It's just a little yellow dot that you're not supposed to touch, because it must be some kind of reactive substance.

I like them a lot! I've only had them read ammonia once, on all my tanks. That's when I used too many root tabs and they started leaching ammonia in to my water. The sticky turned dark blue and alerted me long before I would have thought to do a water test. It didn't even occur to me that root tabs contained ammonia :duh: But the sticky saved my butt and my fish!

SirWired

AC Members
Sep 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
As another poster said, you need to be using Prime. While it may look more expensive on the shelf, it is far more concentrated than that PetSmart-brand stuff you are using now. It will take care of Chlorine, Chloramine, Ammonia, and Nitrite.

While the API Master test kit is good, unfortunately it only measures Total Ammonia. You need a different kit if you want to measure non-neutralized ammonia only. (The SeaChem test kit is one such kit.)

If you want to save some money, you can order Prime, along with most of your other Fish supplies, like food, parts, filter pads, test kits, decorations, etc., from www.bigalsonline.com

SirWired

CoreyMac

AC Members
Sep 15, 2006
Greer, SC
Thanks for the advice SirWired. Not concerned with price. Was trying to stick with one brand and this was the one I saw.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store