pregnancy taking ages

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

daniel364

Its not all that bad...
ok my neon tetra has been "pregnant" for ages now and no sign if it layin anyeggs but still looks fat. im starting to wonder if she really is pregnant. ive put her in a special container in the tank so that when she drops the eggs they go into a different compartment but there just seems to be one neon tetra that always hangs round the container and if any of the other neons came near it would chase them away thhen got back to the pregnant one.

1.Is it pregnant? if so whens it going to lay it eggs seeing as it been this shape for about a week.

2. i really feel sorry for her she looks lonley and is cruel to keep her in the container. should i release her even if she is preganant bear in mind i have gravel and no where else to put the other neons if she does lay them.

Thanks
Dan

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
If she is in a container on her own, and is ready to release eggs, those eggs will not be released and fertilized unless there is a male present. Your best bet trying to breed these guys would be a separate breeding tank where you put the female and males, and once they lay eggs, move them from the tank so they don't eat them.

Are you sure she is egg laden and something else isn't going on? Is her behavior normal? Do you have a picture?

TheZoo

Curiouser and curiouser!
Apr 12, 2006
melting in Houston, TX
Id let her back out at this point.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
If she drops eggs in the container, they will just rot. They need to be fertilised by a male if they are to hatch and give you fry.

However, if you ask me, she does not look like she is full of eggs, more like it has a health problem going on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store