oily white film on water's surface

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rob_hoosier

AC Members
Mar 28, 2003
Schereville, IN
Visit site
I set up my new 75 gal tank about a month ago. It cycled pretty quickly (without ever developing any noticeable ammonia levels) since I used some of the water from my old tank. Only after couple days the tank was up and running I noticed a white film covering the water's surface. I thought it was just a temporary thing so I didn't pay much attention to it. It has been 4 weeks now and the film re-appears every time after I try to scoop it from the water's surface. Like I said earlier, it has whitish color with oily appearance (kind of like if you spilled an oil into the water, but white). Anybody knows what it is and how to get rid of it?
Water condition:
PH - 7.6, temp - 77/79F, water hardness - 9 dGH (6dKH).
Set up: 404 Fluval canister filter; and 1140 Penguin powerhead connected via 1" tube to one plate from my old undegravel filter (plate covers approx 30% of tank's floor).
I don't know if this is related (probably not), but my newly purchased australian rainbowfish started developing ICK.
Suggestions anyone?

spottedcatfish

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Oregon
Visit site
How much surface agitation do you have? If this is what I had in my ten a couple days ago, some good agitation should clear it up. I don't know what it is, and I've heard that its not anything to be overly concerned about, but if you don't like it, rearranging your power heads to move the surface of the water ought to take care of it.

I doubt it has anything to do with your new fish getting ick, he's probably developing that due to stress and maybe bad conditions in shipping or at the store.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002

Running an air stone for a few hours a day (or night) should get rid of it.

Also, there's another member here that cleverly set-up a 'skimmer' and it seems to work great.
(This person might be busy with an outdoor pond though.. ) :D

Last edited:

wetmanNY

AC Members
Why do some tanks develop a "slick" and others, which seem pretty much the same, just don'T?

Drag a sheet of paper towel across the surface, lifting the front edge as you go, to get the slick off.

For Ich information, follow the links to sources from www.skepticalaquarist.com . Aquaculture extension agencies, veterinary colleges and biologists are better sources for Ich information than hobbyists and patent medicine sellers.

rob_hoosier

AC Members
Mar 28, 2003
Schereville, IN
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions, but I'm not sure if they will help. I have a lot of water surface movement from my powerhead (pointed up) and the filter itself. Today I added another filter (it's good to keep old stuff around, lol). I'll see if it helps.
As far as trying the tissue to soak it in, I tried that too but it re-appeared the next day.
I hope it will go away. I had fish for many years now, but I have never seen anything like this before.
Once again, thank you for your help. If you find or hear something else about this issue, please let me know.

Robert

nvision

what the heck is a pl*co?
Dec 11, 2002
Sunnyvale, CA
jau.smugmug.com
do you happen to use diy co2? i noticed i've been also getting the white film after installing the nutrifin co2 system in two of my tanks. other than in these two tanks, i have never gotten this kind of film on the water before. i'm suspecting maybe the gas from the yeast is causing this, but not really sure.

just a few days ago i rigged up another pressurized system to replace the nutrifin in my bedroom 10g. this nutrifin will soon double-up with another nutrifin system already running in a 20g tank in another room. i'll wait a few days and see if i still get a surface film on the 10g...

rob_hoosier

AC Members
Mar 28, 2003
Schereville, IN
Visit site
No I don't have CO2 system hooked up. But from what I've read on some other websites and forums is that it could be caused by excessive fat in fish's diet. Everybody is telling me to improve the water agitation or add a protein skimmer. Skimmers are big and ugly so instead, I added second filter. Right now there is no "dead" spots on my water's surface. I will let you know if it helped.

rob_hoosier

AC Members
Mar 28, 2003
Schereville, IN
Visit site
Adding another filter helped. I see the difference after having it on for only one day. I guess it was the water agitation issue afterall. Now I need to figure out how to do it without using two filters. My old filter is huge (over the tank type) Emperor. Maybe I'll just get something smaller or will add another powerhead on the other side of my tank. Anyway, thanks to all for the help. Now I have to get rid of that ich (that should be piece of cake, lol).

nvision

what the heck is a pl*co?
Dec 11, 2002
Sunnyvale, CA
jau.smugmug.com
so it's not the yeast co2

so i got the film again after i swapped to pressurized co2; guess it's not caused by the prior yeast gas as i have expected. :mad:

wait, then maybe it's a chemical by-product from the reaction of the plants reacting to the co2?! no, ok, now i'm starting to make things up. oh well, looks like more water changes pour moi...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store