Whats wrong with my male kribensis?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lorazoo

AC Members
May 17, 2006
Deerfield Beach, Florida
I have a breeding pair of kribs in a 40 gallon high with a full grown angel. i set up the tank for the angel b/c she is too aggressive for my community tank and thought kribs would be a good addition. i think i was worng.

they hatched out their 2nd group of babies friday. well, now there are only half left and i have been seeing alot of aggression between them and the angel. today i get up and my male krib it at the back corner of the tank open mouth breathing and just sitting there. it almost looks as if he has exhausted himself protecting the babies. outwardly he looks fine, not a scratch on him. i have noticed that he seems to be more of an open mouth breather than the female since i have had them.

to be honest i dont care if the babies make it b/c i dont know what i would do with all of the fry anyway, but i dont want this to kill the male either.

is it possible the female is kicking the male out? i am not sure wether i should remove the angel or remove the male into a Qt tank.

Buggieboy

AC Members
Aug 25, 2006
that's just kribs the male is lways on graud with fry, My male is always trying to stay up 24/7 when with fry. He will let the female go in the cave and like rest while he stays with the fry and fights off all comers. As far as the angel he/she is fine with the kribs.

Lorazoo

AC Members
May 17, 2006
Deerfield Beach, Florida
well, i came home later that day and the angel had eaten the rest of the fry. the males mouth appears to be stuck open from the fighting. i took the angel out. i would have to disagree with you about them being okay together. my male still looks half dead 2 days later. i put them together based on what people said here, but i have learned my lesson. they are fine together as long as the kribs are not a breeding pair. once the fry are born the aggression in the tank skyrocketed and it was a 40 gallon high tank.

Sully

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
kribs will be very aggressive defending eggs and fry.

not a good thing in a tank with such a small footprint. Good move getting the angel out of there. Over time the kribs would have most likely killed it. they might have taken their hits. but, i would have bet on the kribs.

Lorazoo

AC Members
May 17, 2006
Deerfield Beach, Florida
so many people told me it would be ok. i cant keep the angel where she is forever, its only a 10 gallon. i have a 120 fully stocked. they wouldnt do well in a community aquarium either right? i was thinking about just keeping the female with the angel and putting the male in my 120.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store