DIY co2 Questions for a 10 Gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
I'm pondering setting up a DIY co2 system for my 10 gallon to get the plants growing a bit faster, but I do have some concerns/questions. For background, I have 20 watts of CF lighting and dose Flourish, Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium daily. KH is 8 and pH is 7.6.

If I set up co2 for a couple of months, and decide to stop, is this going to cause trouble (aside from decreased plant growth)? My plants are doing fine without co2 at the moment, just growing slowly (no significant algae present).

How does one control the amount of co2 entering the tank in one of these DIY setups? My plan would be to use a 20 oz soda bottle for the yeast, with a bubble counter from an IV set drilled to the cap and sealed with silcone, then some airline with the IV flow switch, then a check valve, and more airline to an airstone in the tank. Is this the right kind of set-up? Would the flow switch from the IV set be enough to regulate the co2 allowed into the tank, or would the pressure just force it through anyway (all the flow switch does is clamp the airline to varying degrees)?

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
the only thing i would worry about is like the seals poping. i saw on mythbusters where they pumped up a 2liter bottle. i forgot how much psi it was able to hold. your best bet i think is to play around with how much yeast you put in. more yeast= more co2. once you figured out how much yeast you need it shouldnt be to hard. on a another note have you thought about excel? if your adding ferts from the Flourish line might as well try out the liquid co2.

webcricket

Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
From what I've read excel tends to melt anacharis, so I'm afraid to try it. :huh: That would be the easy way to go though. Maybe I could transfer a few stems of anacharis and try it in my 5 gallon first and see how they fair.

VTwinFanatic

Endlers
Mar 17, 2005
North Carolina
Why not just use the 2L method that about everyone uses for DIY?....If you're worried about too much CO2 then just add less yeast than the directions call for

RISK2123

AC Members
Sep 12, 2006
L.A. Cali
on diy systems using a 2L bottle it is not recommended to block any passage of co2, because as Mgamer said the bottle can easily burst if pressure is allowed to build up. the suggestion of using less yeast will work alot better as it will create less pressure within the 2L which in turn will cause less bubbles to come out. you could also just leave the recipe for yeast to sugar as recommended and just have an air pump so the co2 doesnt diffuse in the water for a long period of time due to surface aggitation.

Goatman

Priest of Hiroshima
Jun 6, 2006
Im running a 20oz yeast bottle on my 10 gallon, holding a pretty stable 25ppm. 3/4 tsp. yeast, 1 cup sugar, fill the bottle to an inch from the top. Make sure you have a check valve and a second bottle as a gas seperator (could be used as a bubble counter too. So from the reactor bottle, pipe it through the cap of a second bottle half full of water, submersing the end of the tubing. Then pipe a second tube out of the bottle (above the water), through a check valve, to your diffuser. No back ups, reliable bubble count, no headaches. Adjust the recipe how you need.

webcricket

Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
That sounds like a setup I could use. I can hide the smaller bottles behind the tank, but there is no room on the stand for 2L bottles.

I'm trying to increase growth now by adding a bit more phosphate, as I suspect I may have a deficiency going on (tap water has no measureable amount). All the plants look great, growth just slowed to a crawl. Nitrates test in the 10-15 ppm range. My initial fertilization method was several root tabs and the plants grew like crazy the first 4 weeks or so. Growth slowed, so I started supplementing Flourish, Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorous at the recommended doses on the bottle. I was trying to figure out what the root tabs had that my current ferts don't, and I realized the tabs are usually pretty high in phosphate. Just in one day of adding more phosphorous the anacharis growth seems to have increased.

If this added phosphorous doesn't continue to work or if I run into algae, I'll try the CO2. Thanks again for the suggestions!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store