Breeding shell dwellers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
I am getting rid of my mbuna and making my 20 gallon tank a shell dweller breeding tank. I am hoping to sell the fry since i need a job and am not old enough to get one. For filtration i have a penguin 170 and an AC mini. I have taihitain moon sand and slate. I will buy shells for them when i get rid of my other fish. And i am trading them into my lfs for store credit. I am not giving them to a friendor killing them. I was asked how i was geting rid of them on another site so i decided to mention it here right away. I want to breed moderatly hard shell dwellers. I was thinking about trying some lamprologus ocellatusm, neolamprologus caudopuntatus, and neolamprologus multifacsiatus. I will probably just get what ever is at my lfs. I really like the ocellatus. I was thinking 1 male and 3 females of like 4 different species of fish. Im pretty sure that with my filtration and the fishes adust size,they will do fine. I have read they only have a 5 inch territory during breeding time. So not all of my fish will be breeding at the same time which will mean it wont be as tight. Maybe only 2 pairs at a time. Otherwise im sure they will all get along. At least this is what i have read. The breeding thing is my own theory though. Some otehr species that i really like are lamprologus ornatipinnis and lamprologus signatus. there is also lamprologus calliurus and lamprologus pleuromaculatus. What are some good suggestions and ideas for this tank? And what type of species would you recommend? and last, if i am sucessful enough, who would i be able to sell my fish to?

Nyasa

AC Members
Feb 22, 2002
Calgary, AB
Hi Andy,
Shelldwellers would be a perfect choice for your 20 gallon tank. However if you are considering breeding them for resale I would recommend against keeping more than one species in any given tank. These fish are very likely to crossbreed. And nobody will want to buy these fish. Your filtration sounds good. I bought some shells to start my tank from www.shellsaplenty.com . I bought the gold mouth turbo shells. I haven't yet purchased the fish as I have a few fish still growing out in my 20. Soon though. I am thinking of going with Neolamprologous multifasciatus. Still trying to find suitable tankmates. I've heard julies are alright if the tank is larger and has rocks. Some people have kept rainbowfish with their shelldwellers as well. Best of luck. HTH.

David.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
For Tanganyikans, you should use which type of snail shells?

I would go with those from snails from the genus Neothauma, which would be the most natural ones for your shellies, but, failing that, any snail shell into which they would fit would be fine. (Apple snails would be among my first choices, as they have pretty large shells.)

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
thanks for the replys. So if i wanted to sell them what would be the best choice that would be able to have me make more money rather then lose more money? i have never bred fish before but i have been keeping fish since i was like 7 or 8(im 13). Im sure i can do it.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
It depends on if you can get a large enough market for the rarer ones. If that is possible, you could go with those, but, if it is not, it will be hard to make money on the more common ones. Ask rarecichlids because he knows a lot about selling cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store