Dwarf Auratus Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

absolute

AC Members
Aug 19, 2006
I have recently started a Cichlid tank and I after 2 days I have noticed that both of my Dwarf Auratus have sever face trama!!!

The tank is a 35 gal with all of the vital readings in the excellent range. In the tank are 2 electric yellows (m/f), 3 Mela Johanni (1m/2f), 2 Labido Trewavasas (m/f), and the 2 Dwarf Auratus (sex unkown). All of the fish are about 2 1/2" long. Everyone else is in great condition with no signs of injuries. Any idea what or who might have caused these injuries???

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
african Mbuna are not pair formers. rather they are are polygamous mouth brooders which means that for optimum funcional behaviouor, a sexual ratio of ONE male and at least THREE females of the same species should be maintained. since you've got numerous 'pairs', it's highly likely that the male of any one species will attack the female of the other and ultimately kill her. such is the case with your auratus.
Everyone else is in great condition with no signs of injuries
this apparently peaceful condition will not last long ... as these fish reach sexual maturity, you are going to run into problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store