Julii Cory ate a guppy??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

guppygal

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
In my qt tank, I got 3 new julii cory and 1 male guppy. The guppy liked to swim upstream and jump in the filter. I rescued him yesterday twice.

This morning I found only his body hanging on the lip of the filter. ONLY his middle body. His tail and face were missing.

The only other fish in the tank are the 3 cories.

I am hoping he was dead from being trapped before they ate him.

Those with more cory experience - WHAT HAPPENED?

Thanks!

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
It is possible that the cories ate him, but they ususally only eat other fish if the other fish is already dead or very close to dying. Is it possible that the guppy jumped into the filter and was somehow hurt by the mechanical parts of the filter?

guppygal

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Bunny13 said:
It is possible that the cories ate him, but they ususally only eat other fish if the other fish is already dead or very close to dying. Is it possible that the guppy jumped into the filter and was somehow hurt by the mechanical parts of the filter?
No - the mechanical part is pretty well covered and IF he was in that area, I think he would of gotten stuck on the other side of the floss.

He was stuck in the waterfall of the filter - I would of thought if he was alive he would of been able to just plop into the water and not actually be stuck there.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
I wonder if he possibly managed to swim in and then got snagged on something. That is if he got snagged in the filter output area and then had his extremities essentially blown off.

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Cories will pick at fish that are already dead, but I have not known them to be aggressive and actually kill another fish. Mine have been in with itty bitty platy fry they could have slurped up in one gulp, and they never harmed them.

guppygal

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Hound said:
I wonder if he possibly managed to swim in and then got snagged on something. That is if he got snagged in the filter output area and then had his extremities essentially blown off.
Oh man! :eek: I hope this was not the case. But now I have my suspisions because I did a water change and found another part of the guppy.

I'll have to take a close look at that mechanical area ...

Does this actually happen? Fish killed from the mechanical area???? :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store