Help me light my 46 bow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abstrohl

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Hey all,
I have a 46g bowfront tank with some mbuna for a few months now, and have decided it is time to add some real plants. Ph=8, hard water.
I got some java fern and corkscrew val and anubias planted in the sand (java attached to rocks). They don't seem too happy though.
I am using Seachem Flourish tabs and PlantGro Iron Enriched. No CO2, and not very interested in setting that up.
I am thinking my light is a bit weak. It is the 36 inch 25W bulb that came with the oceanic tank.
Any suggestions and/or recommendations? I appreciate your help, you guys rock!

absolute

AC Members
Aug 19, 2006
Your on the right track but to make a BIG differance here's what you will want to use. You will want to get a Fluorescent Double Strip Light thats 36" long. Make sure you get the one that has a bulb thats 36" not just the housing. I'm using a "Perfecto" which is a good make for a reasonable price. You can use a single strip, but if you use the double you can use one bulbs for plant growth and the other for fish colour, as well as provide enought light for the back and corners that are tricky on a tank like yours.

Currently I'm using a 30 watt Aqua-Glow and a 30 watt Power-Glow. The light is on for about 9hrs a day and thats almost too much!!!

Now for the chemicals, Seachem Flourish tabs are a great product, keep using them. You should also try the Seachem Excel & Seachem Flourish Nitrogen, I use all 3 and most of my plants are putting out a new shoot every 2-3 days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store