Freshwater "clean up crew"?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

malexikeander

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Hi all!

I'm wondering who I can "employ" to cleanup uneaten fish food, random algae, and all of that stuff that collects in the corners. I do water changes and vacuum, and have a fairly well planted tank, but I think it'll be neat to have some sort of a cycle in my tank.

I've heard that rubber mouthed plecos, cherry shrimp and snails were usefull, but I'm not sure I have enough (haha!) algae to feed even one pleco!

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Good question. I'd like to know this as well!

malexikeander

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
I have a 12 gallon tank, so I think plecos might be out (by the 1 inch per gallon rule, a 5 inch rubber mouthed pleco would already cramp up with my seven white clouds. There aren't any other fish in the tank.).

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
first of all, toss that 1-inch gallon rule out the window. there is plenty of room for a rubber LIP pleco in that tank. as for a clean up crew, you have your algae scrubber, your gravel vac, your python.. need I say more? trying to get an animal to take care of your tank cleaning needs is like trying to get a monkey to drive a car. he may do something, but he'll never really be able to actually master it.

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
Bravo FC22!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
you might want to consider a trio of Otocynclus. They will keep a handle on your algae but keep in mind that once it is gone and it will be rather quickly, they will need a supplement.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store