MH electrical problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Soccer

AC Members
May 14, 2002
Guelph, Ontario
Visit site
Hi all.

I am currently having electrical problems with my 250w MH. Today my hands were wet after being in the tank, and I touched my reflector and I got a big shock! So then I was wondering what it could be, so I made sure I wasn't touching any metal to complete the circut and touched it again, sure enough happened again. Then I thought alright what about the ballast. Sure enough touched that and same thing got a little shock. So I am thinking there is a couple ways this could happen.
1st off there could be a wire loose in the ballast that is thouching the outside of the metal box and causing an electric charge ( but then why was the reflector giving a shock off?) Secondly the bracket, which holds the bulb, has wires inside this little metal box ,maybe theres a loose wire touching the metal box, and then going into the reflector because the metal box is mounted onto the metal reflector, causing an electrical charge. (but then why is the ballast giving off a charge.

Anyway help would be much appreciated sorry for the long post and badly written post

Thanx b ;)

Soccer

AC Members
May 14, 2002
Guelph, Ontario
Visit site
lol,:p all this time I haven't had it grounded, I am stupid. Any clues how to do that, it's a homemade reflector made out of sheet aluminum, so any clues??? Also why is the ballast giving off a shock? Could it be there is electricity running on the cord or somethin like that???

Thanx slip:)

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Just attach any wire to the reflector, run it down and either attach it to the ground wire on the wall outlet. You dont neccissarly need to attach it to the same ground the ballast is using any ground will do.

Alot of the times the electricity in the bulb arcs to nearby metal surfaces.

Soccer

AC Members
May 14, 2002
Guelph, Ontario
Visit site
Alright thanx a lot ;). I did something similar. What I bought was 14 gauge wire, and some gator clips. I then clipped one to the reflector, then the other one I clipped to a metal rod that is submerged in the ground outside the house as the tank is located near a window. Because mom didn't want me fiddling to look for the outlet ground. Will this work? Will it prevent me from getting fried like I almost did?

Thanx for your help! :D

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store