Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-22-2013 8:08 PM
    if i were to set up an aquarium with live plants, how does that change my cycling? do i add live plants the first day along with the decor, rocks, filtration, etc. or do i leave the plants out so that the bacteria can have access to the nitrates and only put the plants in after the tank has been established?

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    04-29-2009 1:06 PM
    Quick Question, what is a good amount of fish to start a cycle in a 38G Tank?

Thanks

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    06-29-2014 6:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FishApprentice View Post
    Quick Question, what is a good amount of fish to start a cycle in a 38G Tank?

Thanks
    3 to 6, possibly. There may be some articles or threads about a fish cycle, perhaps a search is in order. EDIT: Nevermind, most of the info can be found in this thread. Good luck.

I hope I don't mess up
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    07-28-2009 6:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by blazingazn View Post
    if i were to set up an aquarium with live plants, how does that change my cycling? do i add live plants the first day along with the decor, rocks, filtration, etc. or do i leave the plants out so that the bacteria can have access to the nitrates and only put the plants in after the tank has been established?
    I have the same question and another of my own.

Can I cycle a new filter with Goldfish (since they are tough) and then switch the entire system to tropical afterwards?

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    11-01-2014 8:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieFish View Post
    I have the same question and another of my own.

Can I cycle a new filter with Goldfish (since they are tough) and then switch the entire system to tropical afterwards?
    Plants HELP cycles, because beneficial bacteria cling onto plants so you're actually kinda seeding your tank already. Add the plants into the tank when you set everything up. They will only HELP and will do no harm. It will also speed your cycle up and reduce a week or two if you heavily plant the tank.

You can use goldfish to cycle a tank. Is it a feeder goldfish? Make sure they aren't diseased. If you add plants though, you probably won't even need a goldfish to start the cycle. Just add in pure ammonia and the bacteria on the plants will get to work straight away.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    04-11-2008 2:02 PM
    Been running my 55g cichlid tank since july last year, now I want to jumpstart my niece's tank.

I've installed her brand new filter wich is for a 10 gallons in my tank to help install the right bacterias in it. I've figured I could run it in my tank for 2 weeks or so then install it into her new tank, check the water parameters and then add her fishes.

Good idea? Comments?
    55 GALLONS - Running on 2 Eheim 2217 Filters: 7 Yellow Labs - 4 Rustys - 4 Clown Afras - 4 Perlmutts - 1 Borleyi Red Fin - 1 Otopharynx Lithobates - 3 Synodontis Multipunctatus - 2 Bristlenose Plecos.

The glistening drop.... Rbishop's Avatar
    Usergroup
    Global Moderators
    Real Name
    Mr. Normal
    Last Activity
    Today 6:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Malak View Post
    Been running my 55g cichlid tank since july last year, now I want to jumpstart my niece's tank.

I've installed her brand new filter wich is for a 10 gallons in my tank to help install the right bacterias in it. I've figured I could run it in my tank for 2 weeks or so then install it into her new tank, check the water parameters and then add her fishes.

Good idea? Comments?
    Yes, that will help her tank start up. Just remember, you will not necessarily have enough bacteria to support a full load in her tank.
    Bob

Our baggage helped define who we are. How we carry it determines our direction in life.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    02-09-2011 10:56 PM
    Yes, that will help her tank start up. Just remember, you will not necessarily have enough bacteria to support a full load in her tank.
    I just got my new 120g and I was planning on seeding it from my 30g, but I was worried about having enough bacteria. What else can I do to make sure that there will be enough bacteria?

The Dancing Banana wataugachicken's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    12-18-2014 9:18 PM
    Blog Entries
    seed the tank, then follow the steps of a fishless cycle in order to increase the amount of bacteria before adding fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by _Sushi_
    Petstores label common things all wooky, like they picked up a thesaurus, blindfolded the manager, and handed him/her a pin, and opened it up to random pages and VIOLA!! A "scientifical naming device!!"

Spooky Devil Puncher? Sounds great!! How about $21.99?

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    07-07-2010 10:30 AM
    how r these levels?

general hardness (GH) 60??? maybe my color is a little off. i thought it was 30 5 min ago.
    ph 7.4
    nitrite .5
    nitrate 10

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread Information