Cyanobateria

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Satchmo

AC Members
May 28, 2001
NJ, 16E
Not so much the cyano itself, but the underlying cause is. Post some specs and maybe we can help you out.

cycler

Registered Member
Apr 20, 2003
nyc
Visit site
hair algae?

Andy;It's never dumb to ask a queston.When you say cynobacteria do you mean one that is a slimy coating on say a rock,or filamentos which looks like green hair?Both of them can smother any thing growing on rocks or sand.You didn't ask any advise on how to control them,so none is forhcoming.Make it a good day

votek

AC Members
Feb 20, 2003
New York
Visit site
Well since someone is bound to search for CyanoBacteria or Cyano Bacterea seeking a way to fix it....I will just add a couple notes as I just had to take care of a simmilar outbreak.

-Make an Alk and Calcium test.

Thats usualy the cause, as the algae/bacterea itself is not bad, but the water condition is.

I have a 10g tank that had a rather fast moving outbreak. I put 2 blue-leg hermits in and within 24 hours it was under control. They seem to love the stuff.

Your LFS should also have a checmical to get rid of it too. I was told they did, but took the natural method first (as I prefer to have my tank take care of itself, rather then making more work for me).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Admins: I was writing this post and realized that a lot of times I find solutions to problems buried deep in the forums. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this, but I think a sticky post on Solving Common Problems would be a great addition. This would be things like Cloudy Water, Cyano Bacteria, Macro Algae, etc etc. :cool:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store