20g Live Rock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

votek

AC Members
Feb 20, 2003
New York
Visit site
How much live rock should I place in my 20g SW tank, or should I say...whats a good target range in lbs?

And could I put a little LR in a 10g tank as well?

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
The old rule of thumb is 1 lb per gallon, so plan for no less than 20 lbs in a 20g tank. You might want to add a little more for your own aesthetic tastes, especially if you're using Gulf rock as it is more dense. You can certainly add LR to a 10g tank as well, but that small of a system presents its own challenges...as counter-intuitive as it sounds, make sure that you're comfortable with maintaining a bigger system before you try a little one.

jeffmarskell

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Toronto
I also have a 20g. I put in 20 lbs of Figi rock, and it was not enough. I don't know how much you know about rock, but figi is probably the lightest rock (that is good enough to use any ways). I ended up with 25 lbs, and I'm still not happy with that much. If you are just starting the tank, I would suggest curing the rock in the water, and simply start with 25 lbs, and buy more the next day. Once you are happy with the amount, then allow the rock to cure, do a 50% water change at about the 6 week mark, and one week later, add away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store