Need identification of this...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikelush78

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Rochester
OK... I first saw it about 3 months after I put my live rock in the tank and the tank is not 9 months old. I have not seen it for a good 2 months now and it is much bigger and to be honest cool. I just want to know what it is. My guess is some sort of slug or something. It must be hardy cause it has lived through all sorts of newbie things I have done to this tank seeing this was my first Reef tank.

Any ideas? Both pics are of the same thing but you can see if differently in both. It has a black body and a white stripe going down the back. I usually only see it hiding in dark places during the day so I am guessing he is nocturnal.

And here is the other shot.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
It's a slug or a worm . Not sure which probably would lean towards the slug if it is it will probably starve after it finishes off it's food supply.

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
That is actually a marine snail in the limpet family,Scutus antipodes, that for some reason is called an elephant slug...go figure......eats algae...they are harmless and fairly hardy..I like having them in my reef tank...

mikelush78

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Rochester
Fishbuy you are right its an elephant slug for sure. Im impressed you got that from those pics lol. Thanks alot.
mike

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
that spines? Is that an uchin? some Urchins eat coraline algae...

mikelush78

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Rochester
ya they all eat some coraline algea but they eat all the other ageas also so its ok. And doraline algea in the tank can reproduce faster then it ill be eaten by one urchin.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store