Expanding from 29 to a 75 or 90

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sonicblast12

AC Members
Aug 9, 2006
Well, I'm hooked.

After a just a couple of months, I'm ready to get a bigger tank. I made my own stand, and am looking at a 75 or a 90 gallon to sit on top of it.

My question deals with tearing apart the old tank, and starting up the new one. I have read conflicting information, and was just trying to not make the big mistake.

Here is my plan of attack.

Set up the quarantine with existing tank water, and move the livestock over temporarily.

Remove the LR, and put it in buckets of tank water.

Drain until the sand is covered by about an inch of water.

Move the old tank and stand out of the way (New one is going in the same place)

Move the new tank in place, fill it with about 4 inches of dead sand. Get the water to the right salinity. Put the "live sand" from old tank on top for a total of about 5, add the live rock from the buckets.

Add livestock.

Seems pretty simple, but I'm concerned. Basically, all I'm doing is adding the contents of the 29 to a 75 or 90 gallon to start. With no change in the bioload initially, would there be a cycle? I wouldn't think so, since most of the bacteria is present on the rock and sand which would remain submerged. I plan on expanding later, with more rock and fish. But just the move, anyone see any problems?

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
No, there shouldn't be a cycle/ammonia or nitrite spike, provided that your not really pushing your tank's fish capacity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store