Cycling With Bio Spira? Where Can I Purchase It Online?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maryalice81403

AC Members
Oct 2, 2006
Salinas, CA
Tonight I read online that it is possible to cycle a tank with Bio Spira without using ammonia. It said to add Bio Spira then use fish food to create ammonia in tank. 7-10 days later cycle should be complete. Has anyone tried this method and with what success?

Also, I read somewhere that products to lower ammonia can harm Bio Spira and that it should only be used with another product called Bio Safe. Does anyone know if this is true and if so where I can purchase both Bio Spira and Bio Safe online?

Thanks,
MaryAlice

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
Don't know where you can order BioSpira but I can tell you it's much simpler to use, at least it's supposed to be when you have a good batch. You add the BioSpira at the same time you add your desired fishload. As long as you're not overstocked, the amount of BioSpira recommended on the package should contain enough bacteria to almost instantly cycle your tank and you should notice nitrates after a day or two. If you want to play it safe, you can do the ammonia or food method, just make sure there is some ammonia reading when you add the BioSpira.

Marineland recommends using only Bio-Safe, their product, in conjunction with BioSpira but I've used it successfully with Prime.

twig

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
AquariumPlants.com is a good place to order it. I have done it and they are excellent =)

SirWired

AC Members
Sep 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
As others have said, you can add BioSpira at the same time you add your fish. However, keep cost in mind. Unless you have a local store that stocks it, it will cost you a fortune, as it must be kept cold during transport. That means Next Day Air, an insulated box, and cold packs.

The Aquarium Pharm. website (they are the makers of the stuff) can give you all the gory details.

SirWired

kmgriff72

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
I would make sure who ever you order it from is going to make sure it stays at the correct temperature at all times because if it gets the least bit hot it is no good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store