Rubber Lip Pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishn10s

AC Members
Aug 28, 2006
Southern Calif
I would like any input that anyone has on the rubber lip pleco. I am considering getting one for my 75 gal community tank. How efficient are they for controlling algae, what do they eat, temperament, etc. Any info on your experience ils appreciated. ;)

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
They are peaceful towards other fish, they mostly just like to be alone. Provide plenty of hiding places. They like a current to swim into, so provide a pump with a large smooth rock by the outflow and they will be very happy. Otherwise they will swim into your filter, trust me. You will probably still have to rig something on the outflow of your filter to keep it out. I use mesh on mine. They do a decent job of eating algea, but are not the greatest when it comes to kepping things clean. Make sure you provide algae wafers, and/or veggies or else it will starve to death. Mine loves cucumber. They grow to about 6-7 inches, and like all plecos, are major waste factories. Mine also is VERY hyperactive. I think it has ADHD or something.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
how many other fish are in the tank?

fishn10s

AC Members
Aug 28, 2006
Southern Calif
Right now he is in my quarintine tank with 4 pristilla tetras. Eventually he will end up in my 75 gallon community tank with 4 neon tetras, 4 male guppies, 2 spotted and 2 peppered cories, 2 neon rainbow tetras, 3 ghost catfish, and 2 algae eating shrimp.

fishn10s

AC Members
Aug 28, 2006
Southern Calif
fballguy said:
They are peaceful towards other fish, they mostly just like to be alone. Provide plenty of hiding places. They like a current to swim into, so provide a pump with a large smooth rock by the outflow and they will be very happy. Otherwise they will swim into your filter, trust me. You will probably still have to rig something on the outflow of your filter to keep it out. I use mesh on mine. They do a decent job of eating algea, but are not the greatest when it comes to kepping things clean. Make sure you provide algae wafers, and/or veggies or else it will starve to death. Mine loves cucumber. They grow to about 6-7 inches, and like all plecos, are major waste factories. Mine also is VERY hyperactive. I think it has ADHD or something.
Can you give the details on how you feed him the cucumbers? Cook?, how long in the tank?, how do you present it (tied to a rock, just on the bottom, etc), skin on or off, seeds??, etc. Thanks in advance for your response!

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
fishn10s said:
Can you give the details on how you feed him the cucumbers? Cook?, how long in the tank?, how do you present it (tied to a rock, just on the bottom, etc), skin on or off, seeds??, etc. Thanks in advance for your response!
bwhahahah.... newbs... just plop a slice in! no need for cooking or anything fancy. just leave it in there until the pleco has eaten it bare, (which souldn't take more than a day, depending on the thickness of the slice.) and take it out. nothin' simpler. oh, and you have more than enough room for a rubber lip pleco in you 75G. in fact, you could stand to get more cories and tetras of all types you currently have. they all need schools of at least 6-7 to be happy.

dabaers

AC Members
Aug 27, 2006
fishn10s said:
You can weigh it down with a fork, elastic band to a rock, anything like that to get it to sink. Good luck! Try zucchini, sweet potatoe and dark leaf lettuces as well, mine love them.

Kath

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store