Plecos that like a slow current

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Spunky

AC Members
This summer i want to create a 75 gal river tank (slow current) and was considering what type of pleco I could have in there. The ones that I know of that like current are the rubber and clown plecos. My bf has those two and I would like to explore new kinds, so if there are any others you know of please let me know.

Spunky

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
All plecos can tolerate the stream effect since they orginate in the Amazon River Basin among other fast and slow moving areas in South America. I wouldn't go with any large ones like the Goldy, Gibbiceps, Common, etc but you could do a nice fancy "dwarf" species that doesn't get more than a foot. You could even do a couple of smaller ones which would be even cooler!

Spunky

AC Members
thanks for the info... I feel kinda silly for not thinking it though completely.

One other question though... I read somewhere that my king tiger pleco does not like current. I do not remember where and I can not find the link. Is this info correct? With what you are saying, it does not sound right.

Right now in my 30 gal I have a rio 180 going and she has not gone directly into the current like I have seen my bf's plecos, but I guess she has not avoided it completely. She has once sat under it letting her tail sway… otherwise she hides.

Spunky

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store