Opinions: 30g Tall, 25g Tall Vs. 20 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

guppygal

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Just deciding on my next tank!!

20 g -- 24 x 12 x 16
25 g -- 24 x 12 x 20
30 g -- 24 x 12 x 24

These are the tanks that will fit on my stand which is built for a 20 gallon.

The question is, do I even bother with the taller tanks if the most important thing is the floor space??????

Right now I am keeping guppies and cories ... with more gallons not sure what other fish I will add.

I guess I am open to suggestions on fish too, so I find the best tank.
I do know I want nothing remotely aggressive. I tried a dwarf gourami and I was always afraid of the attack that may happen.

Rometiklan

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
I personally love tall tanks, so I would be inclined to go with the 30 g tall. While surface area is important, I like the greater height which enables middle, top, and bottom swimmers to be in their niche more readily. I keep lots of Angelfish, so the greater height is always welcomed for the full grown adults.

edit: As a suggestion for your tank, I really like pearl gouramis. Very beautiful, and peaceful, and they should leave your guppies and cories alone. The get to be about 5-6 inches in length, and they are very easy to keep.

Last edited:

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
i agree with the last post. if you are keeping non-aggressive species, why not get the taller tank and have more room for bottom, mid, and surface fish. having more gallons will also help in keeping the water chemistry more stable. and ya won't have to duck as much to look in the tank. hehe.
:clap:

guppygal

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Pallen81 said:
i agree with the last post. if you are keeping non-aggressive species, why not get the taller tank and have more room for bottom, mid, and surface fish. having more gallons will also help in keeping the water chemistry more stable. and ya won't have to duck as much to look in the tank. hehe. :clap:

But I would need a ladder to clean it! I am short!! :p:

Last edited:

guppygal

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Pallen81 said:
i agree with the last post. if you are keeping non-aggressive species, why not get the taller tank and have more room for bottom, mid, and surface fish. having more gallons will also help in keeping the water chemistry more stable. and ya won't have to duck as much to look in the tank. hehe. :clap:

But I would need a ladder to clean it! I am short!! :p:

I guess I thought if I went with the 30 gallon tall, I would have to stock the tank like it is a 20 gallon based on the "floor" dimensions. Do you think that is true?

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
I have a 44 tall which I found for a steal. It's alright, but I've discovered, along with my 5g hex (tall), that they are so limiting in what one can do. Even though the gallonage is alot, there just seems to be wasted area. Plus even with my looooong arms, I'm literally up to my armpit in when cleaning!!!!JMHO. :dive2:

Sal329

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
Rock Hill, SC
I like long tanks over the taller tanks. But with yours the lengths and widths are the same just the heights are different. If the 30g tall is not much more then the 25g I would go with the 30g.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you could use the approach of species then get the tank.
angels won't do well with guppies..mine will eat them .

if you wanted bottom dweller (rams) peaceful you would want more of a foot print.

I would work from the species that would be compatible with what you currently want to stock(guppies and mollies)

the taller tank would be great for angels or discus.
( I wouldn't mix with guppies)

oh I like cichlids can you tell

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
I would get the 30G since bigger is better. the footprint it all the same anyways, might as well get something with more space but not necessarily surface area. this will restrict you from some fish that would normally do fine in 30G long.

Just leave your guppies and corys in the 10G, and start fresh with this one. Tetras would be a great choice for schooling species and a Bristlenose Pleco or two, with snails and shrimps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store