Filter cartridge and the biological filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
I just started with my first aquarium with fish ever, a 10 gallon high hex, and it has been running now for about 2½ weeks. I got this starter set as a gift, and it came with a 10 gallon Top Fin power filter. The instruction says you should replace the single cartridge in that filter every 4 weeks. Now to my question:

If I understood it correctly, the main biological filter of the aquarium is located in the filter media of the power filter. As there is only this one cartridge in the filter and nothing else, does this mean that I remove nearly all of my biological filter with each and every cartridge change? Wouldn't this lead to large nitrogen cycles upon every cartridge change? Is this supposed to be like that? Does anyone have first hand experience with that kind of filter and its cycling behavior?

kcooley

freeswimming
Dec 14, 2005
MN
what you should do is put a rinsed new filter in the pump or in the tank for atleast a day before you remove the other one.

if you just remove and clean you old filter in old tank water then it will not remove any bacteria, and you can use it for another 4 weeeks

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
Okay! I shouldn't buy so many new cartridges (sounds very budget-friendly :)), and I should place the new cartridge in the tank or filter. Sounds good so far :). Perhaps, it fits in the filter when I remove the frame, though there is very little space. I'll try it, though ;). Thanks!

SirWired

AC Members
Sep 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Really, the easiest way to solve this is to buy an AquaClear 20. These filters are quiet and have a foam block that never needs changing to act as your biofilter. Just run both filters for a while to get the new filter cycled, and then you can junk the TopFin when you run out of cartridges.

Why is all this a good idea? Well you don't need to run expensive Activated Carbon in ANY filter all the time. With the AquaClear, you can put whatever media you want in, which means you can leave out the Carbon you don't need. Leave the foam sponge in, and then fill up the rest of the basket with "filter floss", also known as NON flame-retardant quilt batting.

Since you aren't buying new cartridges, and a years supply of quilt batting shouldn't run you more than $5, the new filter will quickly pay for itself.

SirWired

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Unless the filter media is seriously falling apart there is no need to replace it. Instead every couple of weeks rinse it out in old tank water from a water change. When it is time to buy a new filter media you should leave in the tank for about 1-2 weeks before completely removing the old filter. When you replace the old filter media you can also leave cut out parts of the old filter to lodge in with the new filter to help jump start the cycle on the new media.

IMO you don't need carbon at all unless you are trying to remove medicine or tannins from the water.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
H3D said:
In a non planted aquarium you should use carbon.
No, it is not necessary. It deactivates itself after a week or two anyway and is simply a waste of money unless you are removing meds, toxins, or tannins. I have never run carbon in my tanks (except for specific reasons and temporarily), planted or not, and I have never had a problem. Running it all the time will not harm the tank but it doesn’t make a difference. If you need to use it all the time you most likely have a bigger underlying problem that needs to be dealt with. So, with proper tank maintenance it is not needed. Plus water changes and maintaining proper stocking limits on the tank is cheaper then buying carbon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store