help with my sick snowflake moray

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

devil san

AC Members
Sep 30, 2006
tasmania, australia
hey all, i got a snowflake moray eel, i have had his for about 2 years now, and he has been playfull, allways looking around for a feed, and generally happy, but the other day i saw that he was having trouble swimming, wont eat, and cant seem to control his movements, his head allways seems to limp to the side, he is still moving around the tank, but mostly he just lays on his side looking almost dead :( the other eels and fish in the tank are fine, just my snowflake
please help as i really dont want to lose him
scott

Kris04

AC Members
Oct 6, 2006
WA
wondering at size of your tank? don't know that is even a factor but you don't say what size so ....wondering. also did you ask anyone at lfs? i check things about health online as well, to see if i find anything to pertain to the illness when i find a fish being odd. I have a snowflake and mine is not doing any of that....wish could have helped more. when was last check of water ph, and filters and all the tests and was that different from normal?
sorry was not more help, sometimes it can be simple water balance off somewhere when all the fish are not affected. hope all turns out well for you.

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Snowflakes are sensitive to water conditions. Check all levels of the main tank, I would also move it to a hospital tank just to be on the safe side.

devil san

AC Members
Sep 30, 2006
tasmania, australia
Kris04 said:
wondering at size of your tank? don't know that is even a factor but you don't say what size so ....wondering. also did you ask anyone at lfs?
its a 3 foot tank, the conditions are ok, and the problem with asking about it at my local fish shop, is that i know more about eels than they do :p: they cant even mark them right when they do get them in

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
3 Ft long...3 ft tall..? Curious to know. Depending on species (I dont know much about them) can get close if not larger then 3 foot. someone correct me if I am wrong

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Welcome to Aquaria Central! Can you give actual values (ammonia, pH, nitrite, nitrate, specific gravity)? It sounds like it could be a water quality issue. Can you also list the dimensions of the tank (length by width by height) and then all of the other tankmates and their sizes (also the Snowflake, how long is he?). Also what has his diet been for the past two years? Answer these and should be able to give you a better idea of what is going on. Anyway hope this helps, good luck, and welcome to Aquaria Central!

devil san

AC Members
Sep 30, 2006
tasmania, australia
sorry, the tank is 3 foot long, 1.5 foot high, and includes my snowflake (30cm long) a peppered moray (30cm long) a zebra moray (50cm long) a domino damsel, a lightning bolt damsel, and a few scavenger shrip and hermit crabs and snails, as for foods, he loves prawns (frozen) or live crabs during the summer months
and i know that you will say that the tank is too small, but its temporary untill my 6 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot tank gets repaired

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store