Aquarium Safe Silicone Sealant question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
some of you may know that i've been searching for aquarium dividers that don't have those metal clamps that hang on the outside, preventing me from fully fitting my hood over the tank.

then i thought about using aquarium safe silicone sealant (i think the same stuff used to contruct your tanks) to hold the sides of the dividers against the glass so there would be no need for those metal clamps. i would be using the two dividers to give my 10G 3 sections for 3 bettas and would really love it if my hood would fit on top perfectly. good idea? would a good LFS carry "aquarium safe" silicone sealant or would a specific brand at a local hardware store do. i don't want to risk poisoning my bettas, so if the best way is to pay extra at a LFS, then so be it.

Last edited:

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
Use GE type one without mildew resistance. I've used it in sumps and tanks and it works great. I've also read an article that states it's what is repackaged as "aquarium sealant"

Any silicone safe for food contact surfaces without mildew resistance should be ok, but I know the GE 1 is good:)
It's only a few bucks for a big tube of it.

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
thanks, thats good to know its only a few bucks! hopefully this will work out very well and my dividers will hold and look professional at the same time. looks like its my local hardware shop or home depot for some GE Type 1 (with no mildew resistance coating).

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Just be sure you let the silcone cure 48 hours before you add water and fish. Most packaging will say 24 hours, but I'd err on the side of caution since it will likely still stink like vinegar after only a day.

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
thanks for the tip, anything else i should know before getting started?

im probably going to buy the same brand divider so that i'll have two of them minus those metal clamps. i'll apply smoothly along the length of the divider on each side for a total of four applications for 1 divider, and the same for the other. hopefully it'll dry nicely and the finish won't look too amateurish.

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
use tape to mask where you dont want the silicone, apply the bead to the tank and divider (in the corner they make) smooth it out with your finger, and remove the tape while it's still wet. IME that give you the cleanest result.

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
oh, masking tape is a good idea, thanks. it's going to be probably another month before i actually get started on this, maybe earlier. i'll post pics when they are ready.

thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store