What's your opinion on Glofish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ilikewhatisee

Aqua-Guru Wannabe
Sep 10, 2006
Webster, NY

From what I understand about Glofish they are a genetically altered fish (danio?) which results in a Bright Pink color (although I have been told other colors might be out there too).

Now I love all kinds of different or exotic fish but am disgusted by "Painted" fish of any kind.

This is where the line gets fuzzy. Are Glofish just a new age painted fish or a new age breeding technique? There is no stress or pain to make a glowfish (to my limited knowledge) but something in the back of my mind still say "This is wrong".

Since I've come to respect a lot of you in my short time here and have learned a ton as well I wanted to get some thoughts on the subject.

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:

CaptnDan

AC Members
Oct 21, 2004
Panama City, FL
www.myspace.com
I'm more of a Cichlid kind of guy, so these fish don't really appeal to me that much, but on the other hand, a school of these little buggers cruising around after lights out would be cool...

In the end, I doubt I would buy them. Sorry to say, I can't claim any moral high ground here, it's just that I'm sure the novelty would not last as long as the fish, and to me that's all they would be - a novelty. For that reason alone, I wouldn't buy them.

Considering my sig and my avatar, I can't exactly use the "it's unnatural" argument. LOL

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
they aren't really painted, they are genetically altered, and the gene is passed down from fish to fish. no pain or horror involved. still creeps me out, though.

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
I saw these fish at the LFS a few months ago. They were 6 bucks each so I decided to pass on getting them. It was later that I figured out what they were. I kind of have mixed feelings about glofish. The fish don't suffer at all, but something about the look of them is wrong. I guess I'm just a fan of natural looking aquariums. Glo in the dark danios are not exactly natural.

DebA

AC Members
Oct 7, 2006
GloFish® Red Zebra Danio
GloFish® Red Zebra Danio is a spectacular variation of the Zebra Danio, Brachydanio rerio. Just as hardy and active as its traditional counterpart, this fish displays a stunning red flouresence -- even under standard lighting. Originally bred to help detect environmental pollutants in natural waterways, this fish is now available to aquarium hobbyists through limited distribution.

They come in several different colors now. They are being sold at many stores in the U.S. I believe they are banned in California at this time. The price for them in the area where I live is on average $3.00.

Apr 11, 2006
Eatonton,GA
One day I was at our LFS and we saw these pink fish called GloFish -- we bought 2 of them. It wasnt til a while later that I actually found out they were altered and were Zebra Danios. I was hesitant and was thinking about taking them back to the store but decided to keep them. They are doing well and are fun to watch. Zig Zaggin around the tank not really bothering anyone. However they do love to play and chase each other lol.

The same with our Blue Mixed Fruit Tetra - Impluse buy for the kids - We didn't know those fish had been injected with dye until after the fact - We have had him about 9 months now and he is doing wonderful.

I have learned a lesson in my past mistakes and we always try to do research on fish before we get them :)

fishisme

I offer all kinds of free services
Oct 23, 2005
sk-canada
what do they inject into them? or is it 100% natural? if it was natural i would love to have them, but if it was injected, na.... ill keep to other fish

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Well, since the below describes my outlook on the hobby, I'm obviously quite against any fish wich is not as nature intended it to be.

sully said:
There are several phases people that get into this hobby can go through. Each defined not by the fish they keep rather by how they keep the fish and the understanding of fish as something other than a disposable object subject to our whims.

As some of the people that come and go on this board know i try to stay off soapboxes. I realize my limits of knowledge and expertise. Hell, i have not even contributed frequently at this particular site over the years. Look at the join date and post count and it is obvious. So, I will try to be quick and to the point (then again i may meander). Understanding of course that I cannot change someone's mind or opinion. All I can do is offer something that might want to be considered and tossed about in the grey matter.

I got "serious" in the hobby as a teenager (or so I thought). That was in the 60's (so yes, i am an old fart). I had a little 10 gallon tank. I got a "Siamese fighting fish". Thought it was cool. So I got 3 more. I figured that if god did not want them to fight, stress each other out, and cause one another to die then he would have only made one of em. I did not make the intellectual leap required to understand that my little fish bowl (yep, a 10 gallon is a little fish bowl) was hardly a fair comparison to native habitat. If I had I would have realized that god (or whatever it is that created/caused life) got around the "one of" problem by creating incredibly large habitats. Ones which gave fish the opportunity to avoid one another. Ones which permitted the "fight or flight" response to be successful. My little fish tank assured only one outcome. Fight.

Tanks came and went in my life. Then my bride-to-be (she did not know that yet-- I did) bought me a 10 gallon set-up the first Christmas that we were together (I bought her diamond earrings to let you know how badly I miscalculated the relationship--lol). I put water in it and got some guppies. Never really thought much about it. Just let the breeding occur. I mixed in other gups. I was amazed, over time, at how much prettier the gups were getting.

In 77 i started shacking up with my bride-to-be (at that point the wedding had been planned, invitations were out, and we were only months away from what every man that has been married for nearly 30 years will recognize as unmitigated wedded bliss--lol). We lived in a small one bedroom apartment. We started buying tanks--lots of them. The floor was a carpeted slab so we gave no consideration to weight load--or the wall-to-wall carpeting. Man did we get fish. lots of them. from every river, region, and continent. we tossed them in tanks. with little or no concern for water parameters, decor, or even species compatibility. And, back then (do all the other "old folk" miss the good old days when hobbyist bred was the exception and wild caughts were the norm?) we were dealing with "wild fish".

Boy did we learn a lot in a hurry. Fortunately I made a lot of money coming out of the gate after college so I did not really notice the $$$ being wasted. But, it was at that point I began to think about what I was doing. For the first time I was experiencing significant fish loss. Part of it was the lack (initially) of a qt process. The majority of it because of my ignorance. I felt bad. Really bad. Not about the $$$. About the lives of my pets that I was figuratively flushing down the drain. (i froze the bodies and put them out with the trash even then. think about it--the "bodies out with the trash").

I realized that i had little choice. I could stop keeping fish because i obviously did not deserve to keep them. Or, i could start getting more books and learn what I needed to know. I started paying more for books then i was for fish.

It took me over 10 years of casual fishkeeping to get to the point where i had to make a decision. how much of keeping fish was about me and how much of keeping fish was about them. I came to the conclusion that it was mostly about me and was disappointed (i had been one of them long haired hippy types as a youth and did not like the inconsistency of the answer between what I thought i was and what i had seemingly become).

We started to set tanks up by bio-tope (golly, i must be gettin smarter--i did not use that word then. We started setting up "very" compatible communities. We started with species tanks. And, even contributed to the "hobbyist bred" fish available at local fish stores. We recognized the occurrence of "old tank syndrome". Had to learn that one on our own back then, And, began a weekly regime of large pwc's.

Several years later we bought our first home--still in it. Like the neighborhood--lol. We got pregnant. We began to raise our family. The tanks vanished for several years. I kept active with fish through friends and tanks at the office. What I thought of as a double edged sword became common at the lfs. Wild caughts became an exception and not the norm. Hobbyist (and now farm fish) bred became prevalent.

Remember, I am an old hippy type. While no one would call me a "tree hugger" I am and have been aware of what man has been and continues to do to our environment.

I got back into the hobby with tanks of my own a number of years back. I was really disappointed at the lack of diversity of fish available at the lfs. On another board you can see that I have been posting for nearly a year trying to track down specimens of what were once relatively common fish in the hobby (look at my avatar. If you have that fish i am after 6-12 juvies or a breeding pair).

I discovered the internet world of fishkeeping. I lurked at another board for some time. i began to learn the state of fishkeeping today. i was delighted to discover the science behind what us "old guys" had intuitively discovered decades ago.

but, as I learned the basics of some of the chemistry involved I also began to catch up and discover so much more about the habitats of our fish. And, as a result I also learned about the vanishing nature of many of the species that fishkeepers have known and loved.

Yes, more species are identified daily. And, the absence of many species is noted daily.

So, I am finally to a point. Man has screwed up the rivers, lakes, stream, and ponds that are the origin of our fish. The declining populations and endangerment, even extinction of many species is not being experienced in only a single or isolated region. It is endemic to all areas. Marine and Freshwater; Tropical and Coldwater fish are being threatened.

The question becomes "what is our responsibility to preserve vanishing bloodlines to assist in the preservation and reintroduction of species on a world wide basis"? Hybridization threatens to destroy bloodlines. Not because a single hobbyist permits it in his or her tanks. Rather it is because the hybrids make it into the general population of existing fish. Many of the specimens appearing exactly like existing species to the eye. These in turn are bred with other species--or they are sterile and prevent the planned propagation and preservation of a species.

So, it becomes a question of is the hobby about you? Or, is the hobby about the fish? You will find many, many of the regular posters on this board (and we are usually at several others) have examined their motives and come to a conclusion: we will enjoy the hobby--but it is about the fish. And we will stridently preach that message.

People that don't come to that conclusion need to understand that their personal amusement is secondary (in many peoples mind) to a long term goal of a much greater scope than a hobbyist simply getting his rocks off by playing creation games that damage, destroy, and impede serious attempts to preserve the genetics and bloodlines of species.

So, I guess all i can say is "think about it". I am fairly confident that if you are honest with yourself--and not simply playing troll games--you will understand the motivations of the people that you seemingly deride in threads and posts.

Have we been there and done it--you bet. Have we screwed up--absolutely. Do we learn as we mature in a "hobby"--one can only hope.

Have we figured out it is something significantly more than a hobby--beyond any doubt.

Are we environmental nazis, tree huggers, or whatever the fringe thinkers in a much bigger picture are called--no.

We just realize that fish are a life form and deserve every consideration that entails.

sorry i did not spell/grammar check or edit--i babbled much longer than i thought i would.

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
i like them,maby it because i just like pink but they are pretty, as long as they arent caused any pain to get that color i would get some.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store