Drip Acclimation?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TastierWay

complaints of violins
Jul 17, 2006
Bay Area, California
www.myspace.com
I've heard this referenced many times when acclimating fish to your tank. I knew it had to be more than making sure the temperature was right, so I would add a little of the tank water to the bag every now and then and now I'm wondering if that's what this is or is it something different?

Also, I've heard this is good for snails but how would you go about doing this if you have received them wrapped in wet paper towels from an online purchase?

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Drip aclamation is simmilar to adding a little water every now and then, but an a different scale. You use a piece of air tube, start a syphon from the main tank into the container with the new fish.(instead of the bag, I use a plastic container specifically for my tanks.) Use a knot or clamp on the tube to slow the flow of water from the main tank to a drip. This lets your tank water slowly mix with the new fishs' water over time.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I use drip acclimation for everything that goes into my tanks. Ever since I started to use this method, I have not had the losses in livestock that I once had when intoducing new anything into my aquariums. I would recommend this method over the other method of adding water to the bag any day of the week.

Marinemom

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
There's not really a way to acclimate the snails if they didn't come in any water, but just a moist towel. I mean, the whole point of acclimation is to mix your water with the old so changes in water chemistry are gradual. But if there's nothing of the old water to work with, you're outta luck. I don't know what to tell ya, but I've never lost snails by just dropping 'em into my water.

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
I even use that method for moving fish between my own tanks. It's easy and seems to help.

I suppose for the snails you could set the damp towel in a container and let water drip into it. Though keeping snails alive is not something I worry about!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
coupedefleur said:
I suppose for the snails you could set the damp towel in a container and let water drip into it.
My thoughts exactly.

And yes dan, you want to scoop the fish out, don't dump the petstore water into your tank. With sensative fish, I also wait till a day after waterchanges to bring them home, this makes sure the tank is nice and clean, and that it wont be getting the fluxuation you would have if you did a waterchange the day after adding it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store