Small tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
OK.....I know there are lots of folks on this forum who positively frown on keeping small tanks........I totally understand and sympothize with your reasons for having that opinion.......and I will say, that if you don't totally enjoy the tasks involved in keeping up with your fish and tank maintenance OR don't have the time to.........then small tanks are NOT for you !

WHY on earth would someone want to keep a small tank?
I don't know about anyone else, but I have small tanks because I have a fascination and love for bettas. I've had up to 21 of these wonderful little beauties at one time, not to mention a large spawn of over 200 fry...(once and ONLY once!) I have a decent sized house, but it's still not enough room for the number of 5-10 gallon tanks to keep the "only large tanks will do" crowd, happy... ;) ....sooooo, I have a few smaller ones which work fine.
Also, it is absolutely fascinating, the challenge and scale of a well done small planted tank.....they can be quite pretty if done properly and well maintained.

Since there will always be folks out there keeping fish in small tanks, I thought I would post some helpful tips that I have found work very well in maintaining them. I am NOT an aquarium expert by any means, I'm a hobbyist......please keep this in mind. I'm only posting about what I have found..."Works for ME"....and we all know how that goes in this hobby...but maybe these ideas/suggestions will help someone else have a successful, healthy small tank if that's what they want to do. Weekly/biweekly water changes are a MUST.......even if you have a filter running on it, especially smaller one gallon tanks.
Soooo...first.....setting up the tank....

Plants
Live plants are a definite PLUS ! Lowlight live plants are best for ease of maintenance and the lack of worry about ferts and lighting....and the dreaded algae.

Some such plants would be:
java fern
water sprite
java moss
most cryptocyrenes
anubias nana

These are plants I have had great success with in low light situations. There are plenty more I'm sure, but it's a good start on a list.

substrate
A good substrate is a good idea as well....I use echo-complete for planted aquariums, but that's pretty expensive and not worth buying a 20lb bag if all you have is one or two small tanks. I borrowed mine from my larger tanks that I have that substrate in. Flourite is a good option too..but if you don't have larger tanks to borrow enough good substrate from for your little tank, gravel will do. But you really want something the plants can thrive in.

dosing ferts?
If it's a low light tank, no need. I do dose with flourish excel for a carbon source because my water is severly lacking in that plant need. Those who know thier water chemestry will know what I'm talking about when I say my KH is about 40, GH-60....and PH-7.8-8.2. I'm not even really sure what that means except that a lack of carbon/CO2 is an issue here....an aquarium plant geek told me this...lol....besides, my plants have been doing MUCH MUCH better since starting this. But that is all I dose with in my smaller tanks.

water temps
So you have your plants and substrate, now you have to think about water temps......this is important when deciding what you're going to stock your tank with. It just isn't feasible to properly heat a one gallon tank. If you have a 2 gallon you can find a heater that will work ok....but one gallons are too small. They can overheat very quickly and cook your fish if you aren't careful. Lighting can be used to heat small tanks, but you have to consider what the temps will go down to when you turn your light off at night.

The best you can do if you want....say, a betta in your tank, is to put it someplace where the temps will stay fairly regular in, the mid 70's range at least. If you can't do that then you'll have to choose stock that doesn't need the warmer temps...get into that later....
ex: I have a group of 3 one gallon betta tanks that I keep in a cubby area on my computer desk. With the lights on during the day the temps stay up around 76F...which I have found works fine for betta. Because this area is surrounded on 3 sides, plus a shelf over the top...the temps stay fairly regular, even at night when the lights are off. We keep our house at 70-72F....this would not work if we turned out thermostat down at night.

filtration
For a betta in a small tank, not necessary as...of course....you WILL be doing regular weekly/biweekly water changes....bettas are troubled by currents, especially in smaller tanks...so a filter that swirls the water around alot is not something I would recommend for a betta. Other stock would do well to have some type of filtration/airation in the tank. There are small nano filters available that are made for the smaller tank. RedSea makes one....and I forget the name brand of another very similar filter. These work fine. Some small tanks come with UGFs. If you choose to use it, you have to be good about cleaning out underneath the tray once a month. It doesn't really take all that much time to do for a small tank...so if that is all you have, by all means use it. I really don't know how it will work if your tank is planted though, I have never tried that. No reason that you couldn't give it a go though and let us know how it works !

Stocking a small tank:
NO GOLDFISH !!!
I just had to say that.....
There are few options as far as fish are concerned, but there are other critters that can do well in small tanks, that are just as interesting as fish.

Stock that needs a heater:
bettas...mid 70's to low 80's..if you can't keep the water that warm, choose something else. They can do "ok" in cooler temps I suppose...I have seen bettas in such situations...but...they don't care for it and will be more comfortable with warmth. If thier fins are clamped and they are sluggish most of the time...they're not happy.
bumblebee gobies (nothing smaller than a 5gallon....brackish is prefered, though there is some questions as to wiether or not they can do just as well in fresh, check into this if you are interested in keeping these cuties...and they ARE cute !)
a few types of shelldwellers....(5 gallons MINIMUM!...the brevis species uses very little of the space it's given..about 6 inches in any given direction. One pair of those can do well in a 5 gallon. Some would even recommend the multifasciatus for a 5.....start with one pair and have someplace to put the fry when you need to thin the herd....do your RESEARCH !)

Stock that doesn't need a heater:
endlers livebearers
african dwarf frogs (ADFs can be difficult to feed, I feed mine by hand, consider this when choosing them)
ghost shrimp (not sure about other types of shrimp)
snails (this I question as well, I have never kept snails...check it out first)

An important thing to remember when stocking small tanks, is to keep the livestock at a low number. Use plants as interest items in your tanks...flattened moss balls are GREAT. Here's some ideas for stocking small tanks....I don't recommend anything smaller than one gallon though, unless all you keep in there are ghost shrimp and plants.......

one gallon
1-betta with......1or2-ghost shrimp OR 1-snail
OR
2-male endlers and 2 ghost shrimp
OR
2 ADFs

two gallons
1-betta with......3-5 ghost shrimp OR 2 shrimp AND 1-ADF
OR
1 male endler and 2 females with......2 shrimp OR 2 ADFs (understand, endlers are very prolific, you will need to do something with the fry as the parents don't generally eat them from what I've read...they're mouths are too small) OR a group of 6 male endlers..(they're pretty small and are a very "clean" fish as far as waste goes) Endlers enjoy a current, so no worries about that with these. Adding an airstone along with a nano filter would do well here.

5 gallons
I would use a filter larger than the nanos for a tank this size or a sponge type filter if you put a betta in it.....
1-betta with......2-shrimp and two otocinclus
OR
2 bumblebee gobies with 3 shrimp (there is some difference of opinion and experience as to how many BBs you can keep together, some say a group, other's say otherwise...do some research and choose for yourself what you want to try, but lots of plants and some driftwood and small cavetype areas are good for these guys....check out the brackish situation as well )
OR
3 male endlers and 6 females...again, an added airstone for current and plenty of plants.
OR
1-pair of brevis shelldweller with....nothing else
OR
1-pair of multifasciatus shelldweller with....nothing else

There are more options for the "larger" small tank, like 5's....there are plenty here who can offer more and even better suggestions than the ones I've given here.

For those who would like to post in this thread
If you have some constructive politely offered critisms to share concerning anything I've posted here....by all means....share !
but, if all you want to do is blast away at me or anyone else who keeps...or would like to try keeping...smaller tanks.....post your OWN thread, please don't do it here.
Thank you !

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Ahem..
Forgot about these guys. They fall under the non heated tank.

There is only one fish that can fit in a small tank very well, the least killie/dwarf live bearer, Heterandria formosa, aka the least killie or dwarf live bearer. These guys are hard to come by, these are usually a special order from your pet shop but they are great fish.
The males reach about 1/4 of an inch long at full adult hood and the females are larger at an inch. They are very peaceful fish and thrive in tiny tanks. I own a small colony right now in my 5 gallon. I plan on getting more soon for an outdoor container. But they do well having plants like hornwort floating on the top of the tank and they eat crushed fish flakes.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store