!!!prablem with a turtle of mine!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nate da fishman

AC Members
Jun 25, 2006
i know this isnt a forum for retiles but i hope someone could help me out. my turtle has a carck on its shell on its head. is that normal, like shedding or is she in pain and of so wat could i do to help? please some help me im worried. she doesnt look to be in pain but how can you tell?

3 toed box turtle if that matters

nate

oscar83

AC Members
May 21, 2004
Middletown, NJ
Ive kept many turtles when i was growing up but mostly the water loving type. i only had 1 box turtle which i rescued but didnt last very long. i know that aquatic turtles do shed their "scales" on their shells and i would assume that box turtles do as well. if you could get a pic that would help much more.

kooter

AquaMan
Dec 14, 2003
Mission, BC
I had a few red-eared sliders in my time and if you mean scaling or peeling, then this means your turtle is just going through the shedding phase (growing) :dance2:
A picture would definitely help.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
I know a good deal about box turtles. has she experienced any trauma to the shell lately? are you feeding her calcium supplmentation? a good reptile forum would be www.reptileforums.com

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
if it's the shell it'self I repair them with fiberglass. now before ya get bent out of shape, it's not permanent and the resin I use is non toxic. it stays with the turle so the shell heals...I save 15~30 turt's a year with that method

cindi

AC Members
Sep 30, 2006
Central Florida
Alot depends on the size of the crack. Theres a hige difference between a shedding and a crack. Most rep stores sell something for filling in cracks and fiberglass works too

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Fiberglass is the best though, Waterproof and the fumes from some of the resins cause only minor water damage :p:

nate da fishman

AC Members
Jun 25, 2006
she is about 17 now im 15 its was my brothers but he moved about 5 years ago so i adopted her. ill get a pic bye tomarrow.its on the top of the head its a long crack but there looks to be something under it like new shell maybe. but do they still grow at that old? thanks

nate da fishman

AC Members
Jun 25, 2006
its like a split in the shell on the head though by the eyes but maybe a 1/10 inch back

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store