Care for Brain Corals

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I picked up 5 little guys on a piece of LR. I wouldn't have gotten them but I was told that they were mushrooms by the LFS guy and I know mushrooms are ok in low light. I know this is my fault too for not doing more research and trusting an LFS guy (after all, I am one!). Anyways, I positioned them about 6-8" from two NO bulbs, one 30w Actinic and the other is a 20 w full spectrum. I don't know how well they'll make it. Any suggestions? Would Coral Vite or any other such product help? I already add Trace Elements. Thank you very much and please forgive my ignorance.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Not at the moment. I could try to get some over the weekend, but I have a test Wed. and a test Thurs.:mad: , so all of my time is going there. I I.D. them using Julian Sprung's invert book. I hope I identified them wrong, because I think I could take care of mushrooms. They seem to be doing ok. They're about an 1" in diameter, bright green with blue stripes going out in a spokewheel fashion, with some of the stripes a bright white. Sometimes they fold up. There's another one on a different rock that I believe is a true mushroom but he's not looking to well. More blue and green splotchy than neat and defined lines.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Alright I think I found them.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=22&pCatId=669

This is really similar to what they look like. I guess they are mushrooms. Actinodiscus spp. So what do you guys think about supplementing and lighting? Thanks alot. I think the other one is a bullseye. Maybe he's not as sickly as I thought. I can move him closer to the light. Also, I occasionaly put the Kent Phyto-Plex in my tank for my sponges. Will they appreciate this? The anenomes sure like it. The shrimp go nuts cause they can smell it but can't find it.:p

The way you describe them, espeicaly the folding up part makes me believe their mushrooms... Especialy if you got 5 on a piece of live rock.

I think the distance you have them from the lights and the power of the lights is suitable. As with any corals watch them carefuly since they are new to your tank.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I think I'll throw a 55w 21 inch compact flourescent (50/50) on there Thursday. That should help right? That'll be a total of 85 watts.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Another couple of questions. Soon these guys will be under 85 w of light. Should I be directly feeding them, or is what they pick up through the Micro-Vert good enough? Also, does the same apply for the little bullseye? And I've heard that bullseyes like dimmed like. I have him right up there by the light too (I know they get aggressive, but there's a good 6" between them). Should I move him lower? Thank you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store