Goldfish With Swim Bladder Problems.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fisher Price

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
Visit site
My sisters 4 year old fancy goldfish is floating at the surface and flipping around mid water a lot like it can't keep itself upright. I think its funny and try not to laugh but she keeps crying about it. The fish still manages to get enough food to stay alive and is otherwise healthy. How long will it live with this condition and is there a cure?

avoxo

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2003
North Providence, RI
Visit site
Hi Fisher, first thing I would check is the nitrates in the tank, if they are high do a water change and see if it helps.

Second I would feed some raw peas. You can buy them frozen, zap them in the microwave for about 10 seconds and peel them. Feed the peas to the fish and see what happens after a couple of days.

Third could just be genetics sometimes their air sacs cannot take the pressure of being compacted or short bodied. I have a cool looking calico short-bodied oranda (looks like a comet that hit a wall head on moving at 80 miles an hour) that has been a floater since I got him. He will sit up at the top of the tank up side down for hours and never move from there. The only thing that I worry about is he develops any soars on his belly from being exposed to the air. I would put him down. Besides that he is a happy and healthy goldfish that floats upside down.

Avoxo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store