Help! Blood colored spots on body of whitecloud!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

malexikeander

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Hi all,

Over the course of two days, the "alpha" white cloud (biggest one, and likes to dart between the plants at the bottom of the plant chasing away all others) developed blood colored spots on its body. In fact, the spots look suspiciously like bite marks and the spots are about the size of the mouths of the other fish (it's a species only tank). It likes to rub up against stuff to scratch the blood spots.

Is s/he getting picked on, and if so, how can I fix this? I don't have a hospital tank, and I've got 7 white clouds in a heavily planted 12 gallon.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
It sounds like some kind of disease to me, and not bite marks. Especially if he's flashing (scratching his sides). What it is exactly, I'm not familiar with.

What are your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels? That would be a good place to start to narrow down the possibilities.

Also, how long has your tank been set up? What is your water changing schedule?

Last edited:

malexikeander

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Thanks for the reply!

My tank's a month old, and gets water conditioned changes of 20% twice weekly along with gravel vacuuming where I can get to the nonplanted area of the pebbles, and my nitrate/nitrile levels show white (undetected) on the test strips, and neglible ammonia levels.

I had to return another white cloud to the lfs two weeks ago for the same thing, but unlike ich, there wasn't a widespread situation where more than one fish had it.

All the other fish seem very happy and active, and school well, though I've only had a month to watch them... it just worries me that the fish likes to be alone and the spots, though the other fish don't pick on it and will treat it like any other, it's the afflicted one that picks on everybody else.

Fish psychology, or fish disease?

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
well, the strip tests are very inaccurate. I really recommend the liquid test kits. Also, if the tank is only a month old it may still be cycling. In which case, 20% weekly changes is not nearly enough.

see this article on cycling http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84598

It sounds like a disease to me, and not something due to behavior. My immediate thoughts are ulcers or some form of septicemia. Fish are much more susceptible to any diseases or parasites if there is ammonia or nitrite in the water, which there certainly will be in a cycling tank.

The only way to get rid of those toxic waste products is through large and frequent water changes. I've had to do two 50% water changes in a day in cycling tanks to keep ammonia and nitrite below 0.25 ppm (the first concentration that registers on the test kits).

Last edited:

malexikeander

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Thanks for the help! I'll pick up a liquid test kit and do 50% water changes daily for the next two weeks or so, as well as research the ulcer/aliment!

Thanks again!

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
good luck! I'm glad you were receptive to my suggestions. Please let us know if anything changes (hopefully for the better) or if you need help with anything :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store