reducing current or flow in the tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TomFromStLouis

I am a god to my angels
Feb 26, 2003
St. Louis MO USA
Visit site
I have an Eheim 2026 canister filter (good "up to 90 gallons") on my 75 gallon freshwater tank. Right now I have only the one betta fish while I wait for my cycle to advance a bit, but I have filled the tank with lots of live plants.

Anyway, I have the outlet bar shooting the water from the side of the tank across the top three inches of water depth (barely makes a ripple) after earlier having it shoot at a slight angle downward. Shooting downward was giving the entire tank too much current (no place for Frijoles Fred to get out of the current except the extreme upper corners). Even now though, I wonder how to reduce the current a bit. Once th angels come in, I am going to probably want less current than I am now getting. Flake food will be shooting around the tank faster than they can gobble it up. I sure am glad I did not 'overfilter' and get the bigger Eheim.

Any ideas for reducing current a bit? I don't want to 'hobble' the filter any, just find a way to diffuse the output a bit.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Rubber band a foam filter over the intake. That's about as much as you can do without hobknobbing with it. Otherwise I could suppose you could aim it directly at the wall it's attached too, making sure that you don't spray water out of the tank.

GDominy

Bottom feeders Rule
I totally agree with the foam prefilter bit... I have them on all my filters now and I love it.

Another thing I do to reduce surface current, is to lower the outlet down to gravel level (slightly above it). This allows for settling material to get blown back into the water column where the filter can suck it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store