Inexpensive DIY 24x7 Drip Water Change System

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
I was tired of changing 130+ gallons per week on my heavily stocked 265, so I decided to do something about it.
The nitrates would reach 60-80ppm in a week, and would reduce to about 20ppm after a big water change. After this drip system, the nitrates are at a constant 15 ppm. (it took a while to level out)

It all starts with a 25psi pressure regulator attached to a faucet in my (gross) basement:

It then goes to a carbon water filter to remove chorine:

After the filter, it's reduced to a 1/8" fitting that I got from Lowes:

From that fitting, the 1/8" line extends through the wall (the rest is in the basement). The small line is the supply line, and the big line is the drain, which we will get to in a minute.

The 1/8" line extends to a rose garden drip emitter, that can be purchased at Lowes or online @ www.rainbird.com. This emitter drips 1gph into the tank, changing 24 gallons per day (but slightly more diluted than you would get with a normal water change).

The level of the tank wont rise, because I have a wet/dry filter. However, the level of the sump will increase, so I drilled the sump to stay at the desired water level.

Finally, the "waste" water goes back down into my basemeny (by gravity) and is drained into my house sump.
Sometimes I collect this water for plants.

Thank you for taking the time to take a look at this system, and if it's feasable, I suggest you try it.

It has been 5 months since i've done a water change on this tank, and the fish look better than ever. The nitrates stay low, and the only maintenance is gravel vacs every once in a while and pre-filter changes. It has brought more enjoyment to my hobby:)

Last edited:

mj20061983

AC Members
Oct 9, 2006
thats a good setup i work at a hardware store all day and would have never thought of a cheap rig up like that thanks for the post :thm:

gagaliya

GNOME POWER!
Nov 20, 2005
NJ
www.happyreward.com
Good job! very smart to go for a pure mechanical system. A lot of marine tanks use this type of setup. My coworker basically did the same thing but he hired someone to custom build the whole water change setup for his 250G saltwater tank and it costed him over $1000. And had problems with it ever since (he uses 5 water level digital monitors for control, and well they dont quite work LOL). I make fun of him every day about throwing money down the drain (no pun intended).

One thing to keep an eye on is that carbon water filter, from my understanding people prefer to drip dechlorinator instead, for peace of mind.

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
plah831 said:
excellent, Rallysman! We just might make this one a sticky :)
Thank you!
Will you (or will you let me) fix the typos first?!
This post was sponsored by Bacardi. LOL.....

I just read it and I'm embarrassed by my typos and poor grammar:(

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
Rallysman said:
Thank you!
Will you (or will you let me) fix the typos first?!
This post was sponsored by Bacardi. LOL.....

I just read it and I'm embarrassed by my typos and poor grammar:(
sure thing! I'll run it by the other staff first, see what they think. If not a sticky here, perhaps we have a file of DIY plans hidden somewhere...

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
gagaliya said:
Good job! very smart to go for a pure mechanical system. A lot of marine tanks use this type of setup. My coworker basically did the same thing but he hired someone to custom build the whole water change setup for his 250G saltwater tank and it costed him over $1000. And had problems with it ever since (he uses 5 water level digital monitors for control, and well they dont quite work LOL). I make fun of him every day about throwing money down the drain (no pun intended).

One thing to keep an eye on is that carbon water filter, from my understanding people prefer to drip dechlorinator instead, for peace of mind.
I can imagine that it would be more difficult on a salt tank. I have no problems with the filter, but it wont remove chloramine for those who have that in their water.

Just for reference, this entire setup cost me less than $70, and I have parts left over for more tanks. That price includes the bit to drill the sump.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
again, excellent work! What you've made is your own flow-through system. I've had FW setups like this in my labs, but the water came from a creek or river (with a rudimentary filtration/processing system) or a well. What does this run you in terms of the water bill?! :eek:

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
plah831 said:
again, excellent work! What you've made is your own flow-through system. I've had FW setups like this in my labs, but the water came from a creek or river (with a rudimentary filtration/processing system) or a well. What does this run you in terms of the water bill?! :eek:
Water is cheap here, so it only increased by about $3 per month. Basically I noticed no difference at all.

If anyone needs more explanation/pictures I am more than willing to share that as well.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store