My Dream Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lucas Kane

AC Members
Oct 10, 2005
My Dream Tank

Hello Everyone this is what i hoped to have when i first started with saltwater aquariums and if you could look it over and tell me what you think. Its a FOWLR tank and i dont know how big it should be but im guessing 200-250+gal. Tell me if you think it would work or if the combination of fish is just to out there. The Batfish is what i really want its why i started.

Fish:

3-4 Flashlight Fish, max size 4 inch, Reef Compatible, Tank Size 50gal.

2 Jackknife Fish, max size 9 inch, Not Reef Compatible, Tank Size 70gal.

1 Hector’s Goby, max size 3 inch, Reef Compatible, Tank Size 10gal

2 Neon(blue) Goby, max size 2 inch, Reef Compatible, Tank size 10gal

1 Batfish, maybe Teira, max size 2 feet (vertical), Not Reef Compatible, Tank Size 180gal

1 Spotted Sweetlips, max size 2feet 5 inch, Reef Compatible With Caution, Tank Size 150gal

1-2 Mandarin gobi, max size 4 inch, Reef Compatible, Tank Size 30gal

1 Lawnmower Blenny, max size 5 inch, Reef Compatible, Tank Size 30gal

Invertebrates :

2 Clams of some kind, max size around 6 inch, Reef Compatible, No given tank size

2-4 Emerald Mithrax Crabs (paired if possible), max size 2 ½ inch, Reef Compatible, No given tank size

1 Staghorn Hermit Crab(if possible), max size 2 inch, Reef Compatible, No given tank size

Several Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, max size 1 inch, Reef Compatible, No given tank size

1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp(2 if pair) or Cleaner Shrimp, max size 2 inch, Reef compatible, No given tank size

1 Sand Sifting Sea Star, max size 1 foot, Reef Compatible, No given tank size

5-10 Banded Trochus Snails, max size 1 inch, Reef Compatible, No given tank size

5-10 Turbo Snails, max size 2 inch, Reef Compatible, No given size

5-10 Astraea Conehead Snails, max size 1inch, Reef Compatible, No given size

1 Pincushion Urchin, Blue Tuxedo, max size 3 inch, Reef Compatible, No given size

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I'm going to say that is quite a few uncompatible creatures. Check on the Flashlight fishes temperature...I thought they were coldwater fish (they are found pretty deep and use that light for seeing). Jackknife's are pretty hard to acclimate and get onto frozen foods but once you do, should be fine. ALL of the gobies will be potential prey for all the big fish. Now, make sure you look at ALL the photos of adult Batfish (they are rather unattractive as adults....they lose all their prett fins and look like a normal spadefish (a close relative). Just be sure you like what they look like when adults. Same with the Sweetlips, they change A LOT between juvie and adult. They are also tricky to acclimate. Your shrimps will fall prey to either the Jackknife, Batfish or Sweetlips. Possibly the crabs too. I think you really need to decided whether you want to go with larger fish with not so many inverts (less reef safe) or go more reef safe with smaller fish and the inverts. They are going to mix all of that well. I think as far as tanksize with the listed inhabitants you will be looking at more of a 300g with the Sweet and Bat. Anyway hope this helps and good luck!

Lucas Kane

AC Members
Oct 10, 2005
Ya that help alot MonoSebaelover just what i was looking for. I did not know most of that stuff and i will for sure check into the batfish cuz all the pics i have seen they look realy cool but guess i have yet to see an adult.

Thanks again MonoSebaelover i will do more research and hopefuly come up with a dream tank that works :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store