Ok Crazy Crazy Idea

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tetras_rock

Registered Member
Jul 7, 2006
ok my idea is to invent a cordless extension cord no wait thats my other idea ok my idea so to creat like a african plains aqua scape ( i have looked around for some good tanks and found nothing so im making it myself) im going to have like a few rocks varying in size for like a big one and other smallers ones and have like a ground cover plants like mmm riccia or some type of moss that looks grass to cover everyting and just trim it whenever it gets to high on the rocks.

ok heres where we return to reality

1.The plan for this tank im thinking is going to of have a shallow tank like 24 inches wide, 24 inches long and 12 inches high equals about 30 gallons or something a rather, first question would this tank design even work like is it too shallow (im only going to have 25 neon tetras, overstocked? To shallow for the tetras?) Glass is going to be 9mm think (not thick enough?)
2.ok filteration and heating. Heating- AquarWorld Glass Heater 150W and the Aqua One 104F Maxi Internal Power Filter(good?)
3.lighting would be 4-18 inch lights equals about 60 watts 2 watts per gallon and im guessing that would be heaps considing the shallowness of the tank im going make the hood for the tank myself (thanks pop for teaching woodworking xD) and my dad will do the actually lighting and wiring for me yay!

ok fish and DIY people tell me what whats wrong (please be nice xD)

misopeenut

AC Members
Nov 3, 2005
you mean like the ones at ADA gallery? Amano Takashi ones?

like this?
if it is its nothing crazy

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
the link didn't work for me...

shoe

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
darn! its so hard for me to grow grass in my tank!
and I have what i believe are all of the essential elements!

RO/DI water seasoned with RO RIGHT/ DISCUS ESSENTIALS / FERRO VIT (Plant Fertilizer) / and CLAY-Flourite substrate.

Plus I got some great light action... and did I forget to mention CO2 by way of carboplus?

misopeenut

AC Members
Nov 3, 2005
ya thats why this hobby is so interesting, nothing is really certain....
also this is the reason why so many people give up this hobby....

Yoemen

In Boogeyman's closet
Nov 2, 2005
Galveston
what is that on the bottom of that tank? and how WPG would that be to grow it like that?

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
tetras_rock said:
1.The plan for this tank im thinking is going to of have a shallow tank like 24 inches wide, 24 inches long and 12 inches high equals about 30 gallons or something a rather, first question would this tank design even work like is it too shallow
Works fine, I know of a number of similar design tanks in use.

(im only going to have 25 neon tetras, overstocked? To shallow for the tetras?)
Might want to go 18 neons and some pygmy corys.

Glass is going to be 9mm think (not thick enough?)
Quite thick enough, even 6mmm would be quite plenty.

2.ok filteration and heating. Heating- AquarWorld Glass Heater 150W and the Aqua One 104F Maxi Internal Power Filter(good?)
I am not familiar with either product.

3.lighting would be 4-18 inch lights equals about 60 watts 2 watts per gallon and im guessing that would be heaps considing the shallowness of the tank
You would be correct...are you planning on live plants?

Fishing_rocks

AC Members
Oct 10, 2006
Australia, NSW ,Newcastle
yeah(for the plants probly java moss or riccia or something simliar), if i can get hold of it (stuipd australian laws),the only person i know that has java moss is in WA and im in NSW and for those who dont know Australia geograhy thats coast to coast so yeah likeing should be fine? and only 18 neon tetras you reckon(im only having neon tetras in the tank)

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
Fishing_rocks said:
yeah(for the plants probly java moss or riccia or something simliar), if i can get hold of it (stuipd australian laws),the only person i know that has java moss is in WA and im in NSW and for those who dont know Australia geograhy thats coast to coast so yeah likeing should be fine?
Any chance that any mailed in would get by customs?

and only 18 neon tetras you reckon(im only having neon tetras in the tank)
If you want ONLY neons, then you can probably do a good 25-30 with no problems. Cardinal tetras would be prettier and hardier, though....are those available in Aus?

Fishing_rocks

AC Members
Oct 10, 2006
Australia, NSW ,Newcastle
cardinals her cost abot about 2 arms and a leg so no one really stocks them u have to get them mailed in and the olny place i know that you can get mailed from is in QLD which is in the top end and im down south so i dont know they would make its but still they cost heaps and nope on customs australian customs are really good they dont let anything through and if u get caught its like a 10 year prison sentence with a massive fine so yeah not a chance but i can do 25-30 in a tetra only tank? do you know any other plants i could use?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store