Platy vs. Guppy! Aggresive guppy!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zastrus

Turtley enough for the Turtle Club?
Oct 11, 2006
Go Chargers Go, CA
I have a new tank that is on day 2 of cycling. It is a 10g tank, and we decided to get 2 fish for cycling. (Not because it we are trying to speed up the cycling process, just because.:)) We bought a guppy, and a mickey mouse platy.

The platy seems to be hiding at all times, like it isn't used to the tank. The guppy is already swimming free, and seems to be used to the tank.

Anyways, the guppy seems agressive, and always picks at the platy. I don't think it is picking at the platy's fins, just kind of nipping at it. Needless to say, the platy is easily 2x the size of the guppy, but still seems very passive. I don't mean that I want the fish to fight, but it kind of just swims away from the guppy, and the guppy just follows it, keeps nipping, etc.

Anyone have any idea on why the guppy is so aggressive, and the platy is so "scared" so to speak?

Thanks!

Zastrus

Oct 11, 2006
Go Chargers Go, CA
Help! I don't want the other fish to die!

Are guppys known to be aggressive?

vidiots

AC Members
Apr 16, 2006
Wakefield, New Hampshire
While a tank is cycling and when the fish are new to your home and water, things are very stressful for the fish and they are at great risk of becomming ill. They will often drive away a sick fish that gets too close, even one of their own kind or at very least harass or pick on them..

guppygal

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Hey Zastrus

I have an aggressive guppy too! He picks on my other 2 guppies relentlessly! He looks like he goes for the fin area - just like yours. It drives me crazy! He is in my 10 gallon. Sigh ... no advice but just to tell you I think guppies can be a little aggressive because mine is!!

Zastrus

Oct 11, 2006
Go Chargers Go, CA
How can I tell if my MM platy is male or female? I know the guppy is male because the fin on the bottom side isn't rounded.

And I don't think the platy is sick, I got both from a pretty respectable fish place.

I read on another message board that I found on google that their guppy is picking on the platy too! Maybe they aren't compatible! :(

I also ready that the fish could be "horny" haha. On that board they put it in "solitary confinement" for a few days, so I took mine out for a night. I think the platy was getting exhausted from all the harassment, he was actually turning sideways when trying to get away from the guppy.

Today, the platy is doing fine, actually coming out of his little niche in the tank, and seems content. I would be too if I didn't have someone picking on me.

I wonder if I should return the guppy to the fish place. Not even for a refund, just to give it a place to live... if the store even does that..

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure whether it's a female or male.. On the underside, the platy has 2 fins, then 1 large one.

Last edited:

Dado

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Visit site
Male platies are usually smaller, but since you only have 1, there is no way of comparing it :) The male platy also has a modified anal fin called a gonopodium, so you should see a small protruding fin on the lower part of the body. I would not return the guppy, you just do not have enough fish. Each male guppy should have at least 4 females, and the same goes for platies. If you do not have this balance, your fish will be aggressive and sometimes males even kill the females by constantly chasing them if there are not enough females in the tank. Hope this helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store