live rock stow-aways reef safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tab64

AC Members
Aug 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
As always the living things found on live rock weeks after arriving is fascinating to me. I have found a couple that are new to me and was wondering if they are reef safe. The first is a cup coral, it has a brown shell with clear tentacles with white tips and spots. Not very big the shell maybe 1/4" the tentacles extend alomost an inch. The second may be hard to find the exact type so it may be easier to narrow it down. It is a sea urchin, it must have been much smaller when I placed an additional 15# of live rock in tank a few weeks ago or I would have seen it. Now it has a body about the size of a chick pea dark in color with cream color spines just shorter than body diameter. He seems to hide in the day, moon lights gave him away at night. The exact type may be impossible but are there any that are not reef safe?

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Most urchins aren't reef friendly most of them eat coraline and some will eat soft corals etc. The cup coral is reef safe as long as you don't place any other sesile inverts too close. You'll have to feed it as well it'll lke phyto,zooplanctons marine snow etc. they aren't picky about foods and aren't light dependant ,"it it's really a cup coral that is."
hth
Chris

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
never heard of a cup coral with clear tentacles (sweepers), can you get a pic?

The urchin sounds like it may be a pencil urchin, again a photo would help.

Tab64

AC Members
Aug 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I could not get a picture of the urchin he was hiding in a small cave like hole this AM. The cup coral, or at least I think it is was much easier. Although he had his tenticles really extended looked great, but the water movement made the picture show them blurry. So I turned off the pumps for awhile, then he knida went in alittle, so his tenticles are normally twice the length of these pictures.

Never posted pictures at this site before so I hope this works.

PIC_0380.JPG PIC_0381.JPG PIC_0382.JPG

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
But you can bunch corals of the same species together, the coral looks like a fungia,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store