Questions on starting my cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tubsy3

AC Members
Oct 10, 2006
Hi guys,

I recently placed my order for most of the stuff i need for my SW tank. I had a question that I cant find the answer for my situation.

I plan on ordering a package from tampabaysaltwater for my live rock and inverts. I also plan on buying live sand and just regular fiji pink sand ( my gf likes the color).. Would it be better to set up the tank with the live sand and nonlive sand first and wait a little bit? Then get the rock and put it in once the live sand has had some time to seed the nonlive?

Or is it better to wait and put them all in at the same time. Well, the first half of my package (they send the rock in 2 shipments. 1 to begin cycle and 1 to put in once the cycle has completed that includes the inverts).

Also, is the fiji pink sand worse than my other choices?

This will be a 29gal tank and I am thinking of going with a 4-5in dsb. Is that enough? Or should I shoot for more. I will be running a 75gal coralife skimmer and 2 230gph maxijet powerheads

Thanks!
Chris

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I'd add the sand and the l.r. at the same time. The live rock will seed the plain sand just as much or more than the play sand. Tampa bay has a good product imho and it probably won't need much cycle time. The fiji pink is just as good as any other live sand. I'd go for 5-6 inch sand bed if you want it for a deep sand bed.
hth

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store