Berlin Method

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andynguyenandy

AC Members
Mar 19, 2003
Visit site
Is the Berlin Method the best way of filteration for a reef aquarium? And do protein skimmers skim away reef suppliments such as iodine or calcium hydroxide? If so, is a protein skimmer recommended for a reef aquarium?

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
The classic Berlin method dicatates using live rock, a skimmer, and a bare bottomed tank. Most people modify this set up to include a deep sand bed (DSB) for additional denitrification. The DSB is an extension of what was called a plenum method to filter a tank. The best aspects of the Berlin method and plenum tanks were combined such that most people use LR, a DSB, and sometimes a skimmer as well.

Skimmers will remove some trace elements from the water, including iodine. However, for the beginner, their ability to keep water quality in control makes for a very acceptable trade-off. Many advanced reef keepers choose to do without, especially those trying to keep advanced corals, but I would recommend that most beginners invest in one from the beginning and decide for themselves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store