live in L.A or surrounding? can you help me??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jadis

AC Members
Jul 24, 2005
portland, OR
can you help me out?

you see, i am moving from oregon (and one of the best water sources in the country, go bull mountian!) to L.A in 4 months. i have gotten rid of most of my worldy possessions. except 135 gallon tank. and my JD. i will not leave here without him.

Now ive figured out how im going to move him and all that. but im worried. you see the tap water there gives ME hives. and i wonder how my fish is going to react to it.

so i was wondering. 1. what is the water there like? ph, hardness, that yellow tinge? ect?

do you use it in your fish tanks? (i suppose you must)
do you do anything to it to make it more hospitable?

anything else about moving a fish from awesome water to icky water i should know? i think ive done my homework. but id thought id get opinions.

thank you all so much.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
sure you dont have rusty pipes or something.... you make out LA water to be some 3rd world country water.

i think you should truck in your precious water. dont want to drink any of that evil dirty LA water right....

i dont see why there are so many fish stores around me since our water is so bad its going to kill the fish.

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
Well, LA has some of the worst water in the country ;). But it differs depending on the area where you live. You should look up the water reports; they are available online.

I'm not from LA, but from a city that dwells on the #3 spot of the "bad water hit parade" among the major US cities (which means, it's not much different from LA water). We don't usually drink the water untreated, because the taste is really bad. They recently closed some wells because the levels of arsenic were too high. Nevertheless, I use it for the fish. The water is very hard, and the pH is something between 7.8 and 8.4, but the fish get used to it. Just stay away from fish that really need soft acidic water, like some south american cichlids. And some fish, like lemon tetras, look like crap. If you want to have nice looking lemon tetras or breed rams, you will have to use RO water. Otherwise, you are fine with the water as is.

emmaS

AC Members
Nov 6, 2006
I lived in LA for a while--never had fish while there but the water does have a high ph. I know cause it was murder on my skin and hair. My skin was so dry it was scary. I had to moisturize every day but after moving up north I no longer have to moisturize my skin and hair daily.

That being said, people have fish there who survive so there must be ways to combat it. I had a friend who had a tank w/ a discus and she never had a problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store