C.Loaches with red gills

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Astro

AC Members
May 16, 2006
Had a nasty outbreak of ich/white spot, which only affected the clown loaches. I am treating with salt (2tsp/gallon) + temp (82F). The Ich appeared to get worse for a week (I know - it's supposed to) and 3 days ago finally dissappeared from the fish. Salt and temp are still high to eliminate the parasites in the water.

The 2 young clown loaches (about 1 inch long each) now have bright red gills. It looks like the gills are inflamed inside, and can be seen through their thin skin.

They are not gasping, are behaving happily as they did before they got Ich in the first place.

Should I be worried? Are they ill? Or is this just what gills look like after ich?

Thanks for any advice

Dave.

Bitsy

Intelligent,Conservative,Beautiful
Dec 3, 2005
Jenison, MI
www.myspace.com
What are your water parameters? Sounds like it could be ammonia burns?!? Can you post a pic?

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
yes, sound slike ammonia to me. need water params, and pics if you can.

Astro

AC Members
May 16, 2006
water parameters have been checked very regularly during the whole thing. They have remained stable at:

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 30 (tap water is 20-35 round here - and the fish seem to be used to this level)
PH 7.8

I will see if I can get a pic

cheers

Bitsy

Intelligent,Conservative,Beautiful
Dec 3, 2005
Jenison, MI
www.myspace.com
Astro said:
water parameters have been checked very regularly during the whole thing. They have remained stable at:

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 30 (tap water is 20-35 round here - and the fish seem to be used to this level)
PH 7.8

I will see if I can get a pic

cheers
Nitrates 20-35 out of the tap? Holy hell, where do you live? Remind me to never drink that water...........

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
hmmmm.... ick could be affecting his gills, and I hope that's not the case, since that is THE worst place ick could ever attack your fish. all i can say is keep up the salt treatment, and hope for the best.

:OT: just FYI your silver sharks and clown loaches will outgrow your tank sometime in the future. the clowns may take a year or two, but the sharks grow like mad. I reccomend returing them while you've still got a chance.

Astro

AC Members
May 16, 2006

Will keep up the treatment, thanks for the fish advice.

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
Maybe a bit of an irritation to the salt? Clown Loaches are a bit more sensitive to salt as compared to other fishes. As soon as your salt treatment is over, try to get the salt out of your tank (water changes of course). I hope its nothing serious, good luck :dive2:

Astro

AC Members
May 16, 2006
Since I am already more than half way through the salt treatment, I am loathe to suddenly change tack. I guess one option is to continue to treat the main tank with salt, but remove the 2 clown loach to a hospital tank and treat them with something else.

However - I have researched the salt thing a lot, and there seems to be a massive consensus that salt is OK with Clown Loaches. I have not looked into other medications, so I have no idea what risks go with them. I am also concerned about the added stress that moving the fish to another tank might have when they seem happy at the moment.

Have other people had red gills when using salt for ich? did the fish go back to normal after removing the salt?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store