How do I know when I'm overstocked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FaFaFooey

AC Members
Aug 27, 2006
San Diego
Right now I have a total of 15 fish in my 70g but I want more...not sure what species, but I want more fish. How do I know when I'm coming dangerously close to being overstocked? I'm going for a community tank so I would like to have as many different species as possible.

karna68

Go Bucks!
Aug 22, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
The folks here are great, just post what you would like to stock and they will advise you. Good luck!

WharfRat

Don't Panic / Always Carry A Towel
Jul 6, 2004
Orlando Fl
www.aquatichabitats.com
When the fish are banging on the glass with wee little tin cups demanding better living conditions is a good indicator as is the jumping out of the tank and gasping at the surface. Seriously though as long as you keep small fish you'll be fine with around 25 or so depending on size and species.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
yeah... you're totally fine on stocking levels. you could add a whole lot more. just watch the shark, they can be aggresive. you might wan to get 5 more cories so you have a nice big school of 11 or 12, and then maybe go for a nice big school of 20 neons.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
fishcatch22 said:
yeah... you're totally fine on stocking levels. you could add a whole lot more. just watch the shark, they can be aggresive. you might wan to get 5 more cories so you have a nice big school of 11 or 12, and then maybe go for a nice big school of 20 neons.
the shark will get big enough to snack the neons. you should get bigger tetras, like black skirts. they are pretty tough for tetras and can take a few chases from the shark

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
jm1212 said:
the shark will get big enough to snack the neons. you should get bigger tetras, like black skirts. they are pretty tough for tetras and can take a few chases from the shark
oh yeah.... sorry, couldn't remember just how big rainbows got, sorry. yeah, black skirts would be a better choice, or maybe congo tetras.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store