Is your CO2 on all night?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AsahiToro

Fish Nazi
May 28, 2002
Lutz, Fl
I'm curious of how many people turn thier CO2 off during the night via solenoid/timer/ph controller or do you just leave it on? How much of a PH swing is too much? Thanks for any input,

Scott

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
I run my CO2 24/7 mainly because I currently cannot afford a solenoid and my reactor doesn't allow me to just shut off the powerhead to stop the mixing.

I notice that my pH flucuates between 6.8-7.2. With a kh of 8, that ranges from about 15-25 ppm of CO2. Its been like this for quite awhile, and I've noticed no stress on the fish.

HTH
-Richer

crutch27

AC Members
Feb 3, 2002
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
My pressurized system doesnt have a solonoid either, and I've run it for 6 months and havent had any problems with fish. I check the ph in the mornings and there isnt too much of a drop. If you are worried you could always set a timer to bubble an airstone for a couple hours in the middle of the night. I just put in a powerhead in that runs for a couple hours at night to get some better water circulation actually, and that helps drive off some of the co2 as a nice side note.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
CO2 is for the plants, not pH control. I turn it off at night. If you have a pump to feed the CO2 gas into the tank, simply plug it into the light timer.
Amano says the Japanese think adding CO2 at night is Taboo. Interesting comment.
I don't think it matter too much one way or another.
I've had so called sensitive fish(Altums/Discus) in both set ups, no difference.

I've always had my systems set up in this manner at home.
Clears off the pump to prevent clogging, prevents any slow build up to toxic levels of CO2 if I'm not paying attention since it has 12hrs of down time very 24hrs.

The hoopla over pH swings and preventing this by leaving it on all night is really a BIG myth. Many FW systems go through large daily fluxes in the pH values. Drastic sudden changes in poorly buffered water can cause issues, but not in the ranges of KH's we use generally.
Regards,
Tom Barr

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
I was lucky, My co2 tank can w/a selonoid and I hooked it and the lights to the timer. When the lights go out, my co2 shuts off.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by punch
I was lucky, My co2 tank can w/a selonoid and I hooked it and the lights to the timer. When the lights go out, my co2 shuts off.

Same here!

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
I have good buffering in my water here, at least I think 5kh is good, and leave my c02 on 24/7.

I see a slight morning versus evening PH fluctuation but nothing that seems to be bothering my fish in the least.

Bruddah Chrispy

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Redmond, WA
Visit site
I've got DIY CO2 and I leave it on 24x7. Of course nothing seems to affect the pH in my tank. The tank's inital pH was 7.6. I added plants, and the pH was 7.6. I added bog wood, and the pH was 7.6. I added CO2, and the pH was 7.6.

I thought at one time that I might want it lower, but the fish all seem happy and I don't seem to be able to lower it, so I've decided I want the pH to stay where it is. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store