3 stripe damsel in a 10 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dsbrasw

AC Members
Aug 22, 2005
I currently have a 3 stripe damsel in a 55 gallon tank with other fish. Needless to say he is a little terror. He is the only compatability problem I have ever had. If I'm ever going to add new fish I will need to remove the damsel. Will he be OK in a 10 gallon set up by himself for the long term. I do not want to return him or give him away because, despite his temperament, he's one of my favorites. If this would work, do I need a protein skimmer if I do live sand, live rock, a couple of snails,a shrimp and the damsel? The setup I have available is an complete 10 gallon set up originally used for freshwater with a HOB filter. Thanks!

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
dsbrasw said:
I currently have a 3 stripe damsel in a 55 gallon tank with other fish. Needless to say he is a little terror. He is the only compatability problem I have ever had. If I'm ever going to add new fish I will need to remove the damsel. Will he be OK in a 10 gallon set up by himself for the long term. I do not want to return him or give him away because, despite his temperament, he's one of my favorites. If this would work, do I need a protein skimmer if I do live sand, live rock, a couple of snails,a shrimp and the damsel? The setup I have available is an complete 10 gallon set up originally used for freshwater with a HOB filter. Thanks!
The 3stripe should do ok if it's alone in the tank. My only concern would be that it's a pretty energetic fish and it may produce too much waste for the tank to handle. It's worth trying if you can't get a 15 gallon but, keep a close eye on your water params.
hth
Max
P.S. get a friend when you try to catch him they are very fast. After, I had the same issus with a domino ,"it was pestering larger fish!" I had to drain part of the water out of my tank and remove some of the live rock.
Good luck

mayran

AC Members
Oct 3, 2005
Grand Rapids, MI
I had the same problem w/ my 3 stripe when I added a new wrasse to my tank. I took the damsel out and put him in solitary confinement in a 20g tank in another room. I left him in there for 2 weeks. After the 2 weeks, I put him back in the main tank and for the last several months, he has been very well behaved and does not bother the wrasse at all.

This was his last chance and if the solitary did not change his attitude, he was going back to the pet store, but it worked. I have just started another tank (currently cycling) and I am going back and forth on whether I want to put him into the new tank and risk bullying issues, or to just bring him back to the pet store and be done with it. I am just so attached to him, I guess. I have about 3 weeks to decide what to do with him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store