12 africans in 55 gal.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scott foster

Who?SaidWhat?ToWho?Now.
Aug 11, 2006
barber4aO.B.Gyn.
I cant beleave what has happened.............I had 12 Afirican cichlids in my 55 gal. And things were getting too crowded. Have good filteration (but still)..............Everybody got along good, but it was just too crowded. So I got the 3 littlest ones and gave them to LFS. Now all hell has broke loose................Its a total GEEHAA in there. Everybody is snipping at everybody. I redid my rocks and made new caves and I am trying to keep it dark in there.....................ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEAS? I CANT STAND THE FIGHTING. It was so peaceful with the 12 but too crowded. GEEEESH Ya try to help em out and cause a riot.

mj20061983

AC Members
Oct 9, 2006
yeah i know what you mean i have 17 in 100 gal i tried to give some to a friend i ended up getting my fish back to restore the balance....you could try and wait it out they just need to get the ranks figured out.......my fish almost killed each other so i brought mine back

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
african Mbuna are polygamous which means that males will try to spawn with all the females of the same species and others that look like them. to reduce this spawning aggression, Mbuna should be kept in a sexual ratio of one male together with 4 females of the same species. other Mbuna in the tank should be a different color and general shape so as to not be confused with other Mbuna of a different species. you may have removed two females and offset a sexual ratio that was apparently working.

too, Africans need alot of rock work in the tank; floor to top with lots of nooks, crannies and caves which provide at least one cave per female and male.

scott foster

Who?SaidWhat?ToWho?Now.
Aug 11, 2006
barber4aO.B.Gyn.
Im gonna keep em in the dark for a few days.....Maybe this will help.......It kept my damsels from picking on my clown. Thats what the guy at LFS told me to do when I put the clown in. And no fighting ever happened. :dance:

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
It really depends on what your goals are. In my mbuna breeding tanks, I usually only have a couple, diverse species in the ratios that liv2padl suggested, that are unlikely to interbreed, or a species only tank. Now for my mbuna show tanks that are essentially only males I stock MUCH heavier with great filitration, a ton of rock work and frequent water changes. In my 90g mixed mbuna tank, I have about 35 + fish. In a 55g, if it were primarily mixed males, I would house 15-20, again with the set up mentioned above -rockwork, heavy filtration, water changes. These are the ratios that have worked for me for 25 years of cichlid keeping, and the way that other cichlid breeders I know do it as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store