Puffer help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

40ozpunx

AC Members
Feb 27, 2006
I recently set up a 29g brackish tank with three 2" silver scats and two 2" green spotted puffer within in the last few days they developed blackish blotches on their bellies and sides the scats seem to be doing just fine. I've been using instant ocean sea salt at half strength. ph around 8.0. Any ideas on what's going on with my puffers?

fish_freak

Retired Mod
Feb 15, 2002
Great Barrington, MA
What is the specific gravity of your tank water? What are your other water parameters? ammonia nirtrite nitrate? You tank is going to be way over stocked. Silver Scat's grow 8-10" and green spotted puffers also get about 8". The black spots could be some sort of a fungal infection due to poor water quality.

Sir Pufferfish

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
UK
A green spotted puffer can change the colour of its belly; usually form a bright white to a patchy dark/black colour.
This is generally down to the mood it’s in,
Usually when I’m not there and it’s either in its cave or just chilling on the ground the belly goes a dark colour
But as soon as I enter the room they are like little helicopters, wings all out, flying around, starring at me and
There bellies go a pure white.
Just make sure they are not bullied, have hiding spaced like caves (opening facing you so they can see you)
And ideally make the tank interesting, they love to explore looking for food, so use plenty of plants like vallis
Or tall fake ones / bogwood or ornaments to do so, feed them live bloodworm for extra interest and show your presence,
That will keep them happy.

provinding ware quality is good they should be ok
Also was the salinity the same in your tank as where they were previously in.

hope this helps.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I can guarantee you, if you just put those fish into that tank with out establishing the biological filtration 1st (cycling), your fish are poisoning themselves with their own waste. A 30g tank is recommended for 1 adult GSP. Scats grow huge & are fishy garbage cans--they eat a lot & poop a lot. GSPs are also messy eaters & high waste producers. In essence, they need extra room, large water changes & big filtration. I'd return all but 1 GSP & do a huge water change. Get Bio-Spira to cycle the tank.

Please read:
http://www.thepufferforum.com/articles/puffer/introtogsp.html

Be sure to read the info there about cycling in that Library.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store