How much sleep

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
Does a Betta REALLY need?

For crying out loud? Everytime I come into the room, the betta is catching Z's. I would think that the Africans would be much more tired... I mean they have to constantly watch out for an attack... but the Betta?

Q: Whats a Bettas favorite saying?

A: Hmmmm... Oh... thank goodness you woke me up otherwise I would have missed my nap!

See... thats what happens when you are bored, and have nothing better to do with yourself.

The Betta is bored, so it sleeps.

Maybe I should throw it in with the Africans. Think it would sleep then?

Nah.... Ill just throw in one of the remaining (Fishless Cycling Shortcut) Mollies (1 finally died and I fed 2 to the cichlids to show off in front of company)

So what do you think? Does a Betta need 8+ hours sleep a day or what?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
My betta used to sleep alot, the weeks before his death...he just died in his sleep one night...the old fart.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
My betta is always active, but he is a young'un. They seem to be a lot less active with a lot less room to swim, but also, as Slappy said, they are a lot less active prior to their deaths, too.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The betta in my planted 40 is always active. In larger tanks, they tend to be more active and inquisitive. In small tanks, well, there's not much to do, you know? Age might contribute as well, but I think space is really the issue.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
You can see that their metabolisms are much different with more space just by one interesting (bipartite) fact:

Most people who take bettas to shows keep them in small containers so as to encourage the nutritional energy of food to go into growth rather than motion. Also, if you look at a betta kept in a bowl, he's pretty fat compared to those sleek hardbodies kept in larger tanks.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
2 gallons should be fine. I think bettas are just plain lethargic if they don't have anyone to display at. I tell my customers to feed them once every 3 days. If they're looking thin then once every two days. No ones had any problems yet and my bettas were always fine. They're just lazy. Of course I would be too if I wore pants with a 30" waist but had a 50" inseam and were ultra baggy.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I agree with Heady's suggestion, but, as with any constant stimulus, your fish will become stressed by the vision of himself or he'll just get bored. Cover the mirror every other day and your betta might respond well.

I forgot that "Mo"s tank is in the middle of a 3-way vanity, so that might have something to do with his increased energy levels.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I suppose that, should he make it through the summer (fingers crossed...I really like that fish), I'll be able to observe him to see if his alertness status drops due to not being around his mirror image...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store