10 gal.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
i've been planning making my own 10G marine soon, so I can help you.
some good fish for beginners would be: ocellaris and percula clowns, neon gobies, clown gobies, blue damselfish, and firefish.
some good inverts would be: just about any snail under 4", cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, banded coral shrimp, emerald crabs, and most small hermits.some good coral/polyps would be: mushroom polyps, colony polyps, leather corals.
are you going to do a FLOWR or a reef tank?

Last edited:

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
That's pretty good advice fishcatch! I'd stay away from the damsels,"personal dislike" and keep in mind footballguy that you can only select one or maybe two fish from the list. If you get peppermint shrimp make sure that they are capitive raised and look really peperminty, their is a look alike that will cause polyps etc. all sorts of grief.
hth
Max

Importskyline22

www.fraganoob.com
Oct 2, 2006
Cary, NC
Ive heard that the smaller tanks arnt very good at trying to to marine. Because with bigger tanks there is room for mess ups. But if you mess something up in a 10g. Your pretty much screwed.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Max said:
That's pretty good advice fishcatch! I'd stay away from the damsels,"personal dislike" and keep in mind footballguy that you can only select one or maybe two fish from the list. If you get peppermint shrimp make sure that they are capitive raised and look really peperminty, their is a look alike that will cause polyps etc. all sorts of grief.
hth
Max
yeah,I guess I could have said that, but he's not a novice aquarist I assumed he'd know a 10Gs limits. i'm only planning a ocellaris and a neon goby myself, both tank bred. tank bred is the best for a newb like me. then I want to get a few turbos, mabye some tongan nassarius snails, and bumblebee snails, and them either a peppermint shrimp or a emerald crab for a good all-around scavenger. after a few months i'll try some mushrooms, but nothing too complicated for me. after all, I am a newb. your stocking list should be similar, fball.and BTW, what does the look-alike look like? are there any distinguishing features?

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
thanks a lot for the info! :) i'll avoid that one.

sr20de200

AC Members
Aug 11, 2005
I too am trying to start a 10 gallon and im going to be running my sump tank from my main tank and hook that up to the 10 gallon too. Ive been reading a lot about 10g and they do say that unlike the bigger one's do not use a protein skimmer on a 10 gallon because its too small and anytihng that can become benafficial to the 10 gallon is no longer there and becaues its soo small its hard to get that back. And they reccommend water changes at least 2x's a week. But I guess it depends on your set up. I however, am going to be running a 3-3.5" sand bed in mine. Im just using instant live sand one of the big bags and thats it for substrate. My lighting however is going to be one of those coralife's p.c. 18" 96w 4 tube lights.

neonmadness

AC Members
Sep 14, 2006
what kind of lighting would you use on that tank and how many watts? im thinking of setting up a 10 gallon sw too.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
depends on if you want corals and what kind. if you're just doing FLOWR,1 or 2 standard 15 watt flourscent bulbs will do, but if you want corals you may need more. if you do want corals, make sure you know the individual lighting requirements of the corals you are buying.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store