Bleach dip kill ich?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
I bought some amazon swords the other night at an LFS and I am not sure but I might have spotted some ich in the tank from which they came.

They were given a quick bleach dip, and after rinsing/dechlorinator etc I put them in a bucket with a little bit of ich med and some ferts.

I don't want to wait to put them in my tank though! I'm so impatient.

So my question is of course...might the bleach dip and subsequent soak in ich meds for the past 48hrs have taken care of business? Or should I wait the two weeks?

maaltan

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
free swimming ich will die in 24 hours without a host if im not mistaken. the free swimming ich is the only one that is readily damaged by chemicals. the parasitic phase is protected by the fish and the substrate living phase is protected by a thick membrane.

The entire lifecycle of ich is around 8 days. A quarantene of the new plants for a week or two is always a good idea for this reason.

if you are impatient (like me) then potassium permanganate is a safer alternative. Apparently you can get it in the water softener department at sears, but not around where i live. Bleach can eat plants before you know it.

- edit -

I should learn to read better :p.

Yeah i would guess that the treatment helped, I would do a full course of ich meds though because of the reasons i mentioned above. There are tons of other bad things that can come in on plants also, but what you did should help.

BTW, i hope you are using quickcure or other dye based ich medicine. Salt will kill plants quickly.

Last edited:

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
maaltan said:
BTW, i hope you are using quickcure or other dye based ich medicine. Salt will kill plants quickly.

Oh I won't even use salt to kill ich in a non-planted tank.

I swear by Kordon's Rid-Ich. Took care of my outbreak in two weeks without hurting my loaches, gouramis, and even shrimp! Left my plants happily as they were.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store